Proposal: Remove the is_self_authenticating restriction on Neuron Ownership

I’m going to send you a DM regarding that bounty!

So I met @wpb for lunch today (which was awesome) and he mentioned something about the “Manage Neuron” feature being removed from the NNS App due to people somehow accidentally losing control over their neurons. If that’s true, perhaps it could be used to our advantage?

The only issue with the Axon setup (where a hot keyed canister controls a delegated neuron) is that both of those neurons must be controlled by a trusted user via DFX or the NNS App. However, it would be great if there was a way to duplicate this setup without anyone but the canister being able to control the neurons.

Looking at the Governance types, I noticed that the Spawn command can take a new controller as ?Principal:

Perhaps the issue Wenzel mentioned was due to a delegated neuron being asked to Spawn a neuron with null as the controller. Since the follow settings are copied over into spawned neurons, shouldn’t that mean the newly spawned delegated neuron would only be controllable via the Manage Neuron Proposals of the hot keyed neuron from that point forward?

Assuming hot key settings are also copied over to spawned neurons, then this could also be done to create a proxy neuron that’s only controllable by the canister hot key.

The end result of this would be a neuron that could be fully controlled exclusively by a canister.

1 Like

The issue was that the Manage Neuron topic was originally in the list with everything else like governance and exchange rate. So it looked like you were following someone’s neuron, but for that one topic what you are actually doing is giving that neuron control of your neuron. So people like me who signed up the first day and started messing with things ended up giving DFINITY and ICA control of my neuron. When I complained, they took that topic out. Now I regret complaining…but it was really just a UI issue. If that topic were managed in a different pane with clear labeling it would be an amazing feature we could all use.

2 Likes

Fyi…GitHub - icdev2dev/sachvo: Manage iND neurons without Internet Identity… is an interesting mechanism of operationally working with the manage neuron functionality

That is correct. A hot key is only allowed to vote, make proposals, and change the following of a neuron.

1 Like

I just wanted to ask that because a hot key should not be able to spawn a neuron :slight_smile:
So you are right, this is probably done by the managed neuron. just wanted to clarify this as @LightningLad91 also explicitly asked whether a hot key can spawn a neuron above!

1 Like

Impossible to transfer neurons?
Like saying once you lock your funds you got married with your anchor.
And in case you want to unlock them, just wait some years.
What are the incentives then to lock your funds? Just to show off that 49% of max supply is 8year non dissolving neurons?
And if smart money want to participate in governance in 10 years, why shoud they have to create a new neuron with 0 age rather than buying an already existing one?
You tend to introduce a new type of tokens, The Non Transferable Tokens ( aka NTT)

1 Like

Can we revisit this topic? I’ve arrive at a point of development in which canisters having the ability to control neurons is a feature that I need in order to progress in my application.

1 Like