Hi Internet Identity Community,
Happy New Year! The Internet Identity team is starting off 2023 with a release that streamlines the II frontend with updated design elements, more straightforward and reduced copy, a new FAQ page that is run by the DFINITY support team, and some infrastructure changes. These updates should make it easier for new users to use and learn about Internet Identity. You can review and vote on the proposal for this release here.
Over the next few weeks, we are prioritizing:
- Reducing the number of steps it takes to onboard new users, which will improve the onboarding experience for Internet Identity, as well as for the dapps that build on Internet Identity. The features that meet these goals include:
- Reducing the number of system authentication prompts to only 1 while a user is onboarding.
- Improving the device adding and naming experience, so that it requires no effort from the user and reduces confusion around “devices”.
- Improving the recovery experience, so that it is easier to understand and use.
- Improving the developer experience for using II locally (exploratory)
- We’ve heard from you that it’s challenging to set up II locally, and we are hoping to improve that experience. As a first step, we are improving the documentation.
- Attribute sharing
- We have been designing solutions that allow dapps to share data attributes about a user, with the consent of a user, in a privacy-preserving manner. You can join our working group to contribute to the progress on this topic.
- Security and reliability improvements
- We are constantly working to improve the security and reliability of Internet Identity, to improve the experience of our users and the users of the dapps that build on Internet Identity.
Here is a screenshot of our roadmap:
P.S. If you are just meeting me for the first time, my name is Mary and I am a product manager that works closely with the Internet Identity and NNS FE dapp teams at DFINITY. One of my goals as a product manager is to use feedback from the community to help define and prioritize new features and initiatives. I appreciate any feedback you have about your experience. Your insights will make our new features more impactful. I am looking forward to collaborating to improve your experience and the users’ experience with II!