How to handle optional types in motoko

I’m struggling on how to handle possibly undefined data types. The function getIssue uses Array.find to lookup the desired Issue by comparing issue.id == issueId and returns the object if it exists.

In the function addDebate, I want to append a new type of Debate only in case the Issue given by the id issueId exists.

I’ve tried different approaches, but it looks like I’m missing some fundamental understanding on how to handle ?OptionalTypes in motoko. Any hint is highly appreciated.

actor IssueAssistant {

var issues : [Issue] = [];
  var issueId : Nat = 1;

public query func getIssue (issueId : Nat) : async ?Issue {
    Array.find<Issue>(issues, func x { x.id == issueId });
  };

public func addDebate (issueId : Nat, newThesis : Text) : async () {
    var issue = await getIssue(issueId);

let debate = {
      id = 1;
      thesis = newThesis;
    };
    switch (issue) {
      case null return;
      case Issue Array.append<Debate>(issue.debate, [debate]);
      //                               ^^^^^ expected object type, but expression produces type ?Issue/219Motoko
    }
  };
};
1 Like

There are a few things playing together here.

When you’re pattern matching an optional you handle 2 cases. One is null and the other is ?(value) where value now is the non-optional value. So we’d need to change your

switch (issue) {
  case null return;
  case Issue Array.append<Debate>(issue.debate, [debate]);
}

into

switch (issue) {
  case null return;
  case (?actualIssue) Array.append<Debate>(actualIssue.debate, [debate]);
}

The second issue is that Array.append returns an Array. It doesn’t modify the array in place, so what you’d need to instead is reassign the value to your issues variable:

switch (issue) {
  case null return;
  case (?actualIssue) {
    issues := Array.append<Debate>(actualIssue.debate, [debate]);
  }
}

Now this is a somewhat common pattern. Performing some side-effect based on whether an optional is present or not so the base library has the iterate function to capture that. The final version I’d suggest would be:

Option.iterate(issue, func(actualIssue : Issue) {
}
6 Likes

Thanks for your help. But sadly this looks wrong to me:

}

I’m trying to append the Debate to the actualIssue.debate : [Debate] which does not return the initial Array of Issues.

I would the expect something like:

actualIssue.debate : [Debate] := Array.append<Debate>(actualIssue.debate, [debate]);

Oh, that’s nice. On that topic - the documentation of the Option module seem to have an error, it advocates the following pattern:

let int1orZero : Int = switch(optionalInt1) {
  case null 0;
  case ?(int) int;
};

Ie ?(int) instead of (?int) - which causes a syntax error. Threw me off a bit. :wink:

1 Like

I’m still kinda lost. Sorry. The final expression should look something like this?

switch (issue) {
  case null return;
  case (?actualIssue) {
    actualIssue.debate := Array.append<Debate>(actualIssue.debate, [debate]);
  } 
}

That, or using Option.iterate which @kritzcreek mentioned:

}

Which allows you to get rid of the switch statement, as you only care about the case of issue != null.

2 Likes

This gives me the error:

let debate = {
    id = 1;
    thesis = newThesis;
  };
    // => expected mutable assignment target
  });
};

Thanks for letting me know :smiley: As you can tell it throws me off as well… :wink:

2 Likes

I’m feeling like I’ve never programmed before :sweat_smile:

That seems like a descriptive error message. :slight_smile:

You’re trying to reassign actualIssue.debate, but Issue.debate is defined as an immutable variable.
Intuitively one might change Issue.debate to be mutable, but then it’d fail to compile as getIssue above must return an immutable data structure.

Bunch of approaches one could take here. One could create a new Issue and replace the existing one in the issues array.
Alternatively one could make Issue.debate mutable, and make getIssue return an immutable copy thereof.

1 Like

Agree 100%

So I need to declare the type as mutable in types.Debate? Or when the Issue gets created?

Ending up doing this as a first try:

issues := Array.filter<Issue>(issues, func (i : Issue) {i.id == issueId});
    let debate = {
      id = 1;
      thesis = newThesis;
    };
    let newIssue = {
      id = actualIssue.id;
      description = actualIssue.description;
      debate = Array.append<Debate>(actualIssue.debate, [debate]);
      //                                                 ^^^^^^ expression of type [Debate/382] cannot produce expected type {id : Nat; thesis : Text}
    }
  });
};

1 Like

You could - but then you’d have to make sure that getIssue returns an immutable version thereof. Motoko enforces that any data leaving an actor by means of its public methods must be immutable.

Generally I’d probably go about it a slightly different way - but do take it with a grain of salt, it’s not as if I had years of experience with Motoko. :wink:

• Leave the issue type immutable as-is
  • Use a mutable hash map instead of an array for storing issues. This:
    • Makes the data structure mirror the business logic of the issue’s ID (I assume!) being unique
    • Provides constant-time lookups of an issue by its ID - as opposed to an array’s O(n)
  • When adding a debate, create a new issue containing said debate (based on the existing issue), and replace the old issue in the hash map

Edit: Bit unsure about that snippet you just posted. Specifically:

issues := Array.filter<Issue>(issues, func (i : Issue) {i.id == issueId}

This will replace issues with an array containing only the issue you are currently adding a debate for, surely? Ie drop all other issues?

2 Likes

Oh, yea sure. Intention was this. Just wasted at the moment

issues := Array.filter<Issue>(issues, func (i : Issue) {i.id != issueId}
1 Like

Your example code has me wondering about the bigger design of the data model (involving the types Issue and Debate)? How do these entities relate? (one to one, one to many, many to many? something else?)

I have an ongoing experiment in Motoko where I’m trying to accomodate any answer to the questions above, even if they change over time, as the application evolves. To be as flexible as possible, I’m advocating a general model based on graphs (nodes and edges for data and its relationships):

For your example, I’d use a graph node to represent each Issue and each Debate, and use an edge to relate them, as needed.

I lost some time being on vacation last week, but I have a PR that shows a basic data model for a simple grocery marketplace (“farm to table”, via the ICP). For example, here’s some “seed data” for this model:
[WIP] Example: Produce exchange by matthewhammer · Pull Request #4 · matthewhammer/motoko-graph · GitHub

Still a work in progress, but ongoing.

If any of this seems relevant (or not), I’m happy to discuss further.

4 Likes

Issue and debate should have one to many relationship. The Debate should have two one to many relations to itself to form pros and cons which are opening a next level of debate. The idea is basically to mimic the functionality of https://www.kialo.com/the-existence-of-god-2629

motoko-graph looks very nice. Was thinking a lot about the requirement to build a graphql implementation to make data querying more convenient. Feels very painful at the moment for more complex domain models.