How to get the canister identifier in the motoko code?

There are two canisters, and when using a function in canister A to call a function in canister B, need to pass in the canister id <Principal> of canister A as a parameter, so is there any way to get the canister id in the motoko code? like address(this) in Ethereum solidity

One way that is not so good, is adding the below code to canister B, and canister A call this function in canister B to get its canister id:

// Return the principal of the message caller/user identity
    public shared(msg) func callerPrincipal() : async Principal {
        return msg.caller;
    };
1 Like
1 Like

While that solution works, it’s quite slow since it requires an expensive await.

A more direct solution is to declare the optional this parameter of the actor or actor class and return its principal using the Principal.fromActor base library function. Something like:

import Principal "mo:base/Principal";

shared (install) actor class WhoAmI(someone : Principal) = 
  this { // Bind the optional `this` argument (any name will do)

// Return the principal identifier of this canister via the optional `this` binding.
  // This is much quicker than `id()` above, since it avoids the latency of `await whoami()`.
  public func idQuick() : async Principal {
    return Principal.fromActor(this);
  };
};

I’ll post a PR to the examples repository to include this faster alternative.

8 Likes

Interesting

The call Principal.fromActor(this) is basically free compared to 18k~ cycles burned by the await call

cf.

Main.mo

// Return the principal identifier of this canister.
  public func id() : async (Principal, Nat, Nat) {
    let before = Cycles.balance();
    let result = await whoami();
    let after = Cycles.balance();
    return (result, before, after);
  };

// Return the principal identifier of this canister via the optional `this` binding.
  // This is much quicker than `id()` above, since it avoids the latency of `await whoami()`.
  public func idQuick() : async  (Principal, Nat, Nat) {
    let before = Cycles.balance();
    let result = Principal.fromActor(this);
    let after = Cycles.balance();
    return (result, before, after);
  };
(base) dp@dps-MacBook-Pro whoami % dfx canister call whoami id \
                | grep "$(dfx canister id whoami)" && echo 'PASS'
(principal "rrkah-fqaaa-aaaaa-aaaaq-cai", 994_631_194_103, 994_631_176_232)
PASS
(base) dp@dps-MacBook-Pro whoami % dfx canister call whoami idQuick \
                | grep "$(dfx canister id whoami)" && echo 'PASS'
(principal "rrkah-fqaaa-aaaaa-aaaaq-cai", 994_631_123_350, 994_631_123_350)
PASS
1 Like

Yes, it’s essentially free. The only cost here is the enclosing method itself, but if you were using it to pass on the principal of actor A to actor B as an explicit argument, just obtaining the principal of A can be dead cheap.

3 Likes

Actor class is ok:

actor class Test() = this {

and actor is not ok:

actor Test = this {
Stdout:

Stderr:
main.mo:6.14-6.18: syntax error [M0001], unexpected token 'this', expected one of token or <phrase> sequence:
  <obj_body>

For an actor declaration, you can just pass the name of the actor (the name, if provided, is the “this” reference).

actor Test {
    public func idQuick() : async Principal { 
       return Principal.fromActor(Test);
    };
} 

(Classes need additional syntax to reference “this” because the name of the class names the constructor (a function), not the instance being constructed (an object)).

Hope that helps.

4 Likes

Hi, do you know how to refer to the identity of a class?

I’m note sure I understand the question, but does the example above not answer it?

this names the instance returned by the constructor, Principal.fromActor(this) give the raw principal of that instance.

The class itself has no identity per se, but I may be misunderstanding your question. I’m off to bed, but can answer tomorrow if you provide more context.

1 Like

Binding this to the actor class to obtain its principal id, however, calling it from next js file an error Error: Impossible to convert undefined to Principal. is thrown while trying to pass some inputs from a form.

1 Like

I’m trying to use this approach :

But I get an error, is this approach no longer allowed?

This is the error :
cannot use Test before Test has been definedMotoko(M0016)

Thanks in advance!

I have this in my code somewhere:

actor class Test() = self {
  func a() : async Principal {
    return Principal.fromActor(self);
  }
}
1 Like

Thanks for your response!
I just realized the problem, I was trying to use self to declare a variable in my global state rather than inside a function. Makes sense now I suppose.
Cheers!