How do you guys make async call inside thread_local?

hello, I’ve been facing problem with making async call. my state have some asynchronous methods, and how do you call those method inside the thread local?
I handled my code this way:

pub async fn pay_loan(note_id: u128, loan_index: u32) -> PayLoanResponse{
    let caller = ic_cdk::caller();
    let note_data: Result<NoteData, PayLoanResponse> = NOTE_STATE.with(|state|{
        let state = state.borrow();
        match state.note_list.get(&note_id){
            Some(note_data) => Ok(note_data.clone()),
            None => Err(PayLoanResponse::InvalidNoteId)
        }
    });
    let mut note_data = match note_data{
        Err(e) => return e,
        Ok(note_data) => note_data,
    };
    let response = note_data.pay_loan(note_id, loan_index, &caller).await;
    NOTE_STATE.with(|state|{
        let state = &mut state.borrow_mut();
        state.note_list.insert(note_id, note_data);
    });
    response
}

but my code is re entrancy attack prone. how do you solve it in a better way?

1 Like

Your code is valid and yes, it is prone to reentrancy attack.

The common way to solve this is to never update the state after (async) external calls. You should swap these two instructions:

NOTE_STATE.with(|state|{
});

So the call happens after the state update. This approach also reveals another error in your code snippet - you should always check for errors that might happen during an external async call. In your case you can simply revert the state to it’s original:

NOTE_STATE.with(|state|{
});

if let Err(e) = &response {
    NOTE_STATE.with(|state|{
        state.note_list.remove(&note_id);
    });
}

response
2 Likes

Congrats on realising that your code is vulnerable, that alone is already a huge accomplishment. Not many people realise that.

There is no general solution except for ‘fix it’. In your case, @senior.joinu already explained very nicely how to fix in your case.

If you want an example of how I do exactly that in the cycles faucet, have a look at this post, which explains the process in a lot of detail.

3 Likes

thanks, will look update the code again.

thanks, haha. but your answer is based for motoko, isn’t it??

Yes, I’m trying to show you how to approach the logic, not a copy/paste solution that may or may not fix your situation

@senior.joinu @Severin what if I do like this
step 1: change data, also store unchanged data
step 2: make async call
if async call fails of doesn’t return me the desired output. I will replace with the old unchanged data.

do you see any problem in this?

I think in this situation it works, assuming that you detect errors correctly. The pattern will fail, however, if you need to do more than just resetting local data if a failure happens. This more complicated case will most appear if you use more than just one await.

ok, so If I have multiple number of await and I do check for errors for every await. still i’ll have the problem?

It depends on what your awaits do. If you store your state, then transfer some funds (first await), then try to transfer funds to someone else (second await), but the second transfer fails, then you can’t just restore your initial state. You’d have to revert the first transfer too, otherwise the initial state is not restored.

If you use money transfers (which are (in most cases) not reversible), then you have to find some other way to handle your error. E.g. you assign the receivers some tokens (which I assume you could do without an await), then try to disburse funds, and if a transfer fails, you only revert the reduction of assigned tokens, but a previous reduction of tokens would still have to apply. This uses transfers of funds as an example, but it can be any non-local state change.

Do you understand this example or did I do a bad job at explaining?

You explained it really good. If I had to solve the problem, I’ll go like
step1: store unchanged data, update data
step2: make async call (1)
step3: check if the async call failed or the desired output wasn’t received
step4: if I received the desired output: I’ll leave the data unchanged. now the change data will act as the unchanged data for second async call. and repeat the step. do you like the idea? and will this solve? or you’ve a better idea

beside thread_local{..}, what are the other ways to declare state? are there any other ways?

Yes, this works, but only if your application (or state representation) allow this half-executed state as a valid application state. Example: If your application has tokens to distribute, then you cannot only have states Initial and Distributed, but you may also have to add HalfDistributed as a valid state

AFAIK this is the best we have with ic_cdk. Or you have write a lot of unsafe blocks. I know e.g. ic-kit has nicer interfaces in some cases, but I’m not very familiar with it. Maybe there’s also other ones out there