Getting "ingress_expiry not within expected range" error when trying to deploy even the basic "Hello App"

I successfully launched an IC app last week with no issues. This week, I can’t seem to even get the basic build-in “Hello App” working.

First, when trying to launch a vite app I kept getting white screen a “ReferenceError: Buffer is not defined” error in the browser console log. This was when I was trying to create a new app using this front end template I had no issues with last week:

After that I figured I’d try deploying the most basic app possible using “dfx new hello-world”. This time I got the index screen to load, but now I’m getting this error when clicking the button:

“Specified ingress_expiry not within expected range”

I’ve tried reinstalling the SDK, updating dependencies to the latest versions, using different browsers, and a lot of other stuff with no success. Googled around but still confused about exactly what both issues are.

I even checked an app I know was working perfectly last week and it’s also not working, nothing was changed since then. Did I somehow mess something up with my environment or how I’m running the replica locally? What do I need to do?

For background, I’m coding using Visual Studio Code with a WSL Ubuntu on Windows 10, with everything setup exactly as outlined in the Motoko School guide:

@kpeacock

Make sure you’re running WSL version 2, there are issues running the sdk with version 1. It’s also best to create your project in the WSL filesystem itself, eg under ~/my-projects , instead of on the mount directories. If either of those are the issue?

I remember this “Buffer is not defined” error. For me it was solved by updating to a newer version of node (15.4 in my case). This can help

The error messages shows a time window. Did you compare that to the actual time when you made the request. It looks like your local machine might have the wrong time?

I’m running WSL version 2 and I’m running the project within the filesystem itself, so neither of those could be the issue. Thanks for the contribution though, I really appreciate it!

Looks like my Ubuntu was behind a day for some reason!

This cleared the “ingress_expiry” issue. I’m still getting a “Error: Fail to verify certificate” error but I’ll try troubleshooting from there.

Thanks for the help!

Removing Buffer and a couple other obnoxious dependencies is also in the agent-js roadmap. Sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime!