DIP721 or ICRC-7

Hi all!

Excuse my ignorance I’m simply experimenting with the possibility of minting an NFT collection but I’m a little confused on where to draw the line in terms of standards and working practices. As far as I can see in terms of guiding documentation (for someone like me that isn’t hugely technical in the crypto space) from Dfinity are some basic guidelines for methods associated with the DIP271 standard which I believe was developed by Psychadelic.

After a bit of trawling I’m to understand that Psychadelic are stepping back from working on IC and there is a new standard ICRC-7 currently being developed. My question is, should I wait for the ICRC-7 standard to be fully formed with updated documentation or should I keeping digging into documents RE DIP271 and DAB etc?

Of course it would be so awesome to have some kind of working tutorial/example project of a real world implementation with minting, permissions, transactions, wallet integration etc instead of just skeleton methods.

Thanks a bunch :slight_smile:

I’d recommend using ICRC-7. We are in the process of updating the official NFT example. If you are developing in Motoko have a look at GitHub - letmejustputthishere/icrc7_launchpad

If you are using Rust, I believe the best source is currently GitHub - tuminfei/ic_nft_creater: Easily design NFTs on IC network and sell them on Shopify just like regular products. It's so much fun to send NFTs to your customers' gift!

Hope this helps and keeps us posted on your project!

2 Likes

Hey thanks so much for that github link, hugely helpful and I appreciate the advice.

Yes, it’s been a great user experience so far working with the DFX framework and some basic backend Motoko compute https://memoria-alliance.com

Now that I mention it, just one more question, it seems Dfinity heavily push Motoko as a standard but a huge swathe of the community (almost all) seem to use Rust, I can probably guess you answer to this but does Motoko have a strong future as a standard supported by the IC ecosystem?