Difference between NNSLedger container icrc1_transfer and transfer

I checked the did file and found two transfer methods, icrc1_transfer and transfer
The parameters required to find the two methods are

#[derive(Serialize, CandidType, Deserialize, Clone, Debug, Copy)]
pub struct Account {
    pub owner: Principal,
    pub subaccount: Option<Subaccount>,
}

// icrc1_transfer function
#[derive(CandidType, Deserialize)]
pub struct TransferArg {
    pub to: Account,
    pub fee: Option<candid::Nat>,
    pub memo: Option<Vec<u8>>,
    pub from_subaccount: Option<Vec<u8>>,
    pub created_at_time: Option<u64>,
    pub amount: candid::Nat,
}

// transfer function
#[derive(CandidType, Deserialize)]
pub struct TransferArgs {
    pub to: Vec<u8>,
    pub fee: Tokens,
    pub memo: u64,
    pub from_subaccount: Option<Vec<u8>>,
    pub created_at_time: Option<TimeStamp>,
    pub amount: Tokens,
}

Is there any difference between the to of these two functions?
Is to in TransferArgs a sub-account or a value that needs to be processed by the fnnew method?

fn fnnew(owner: &Principal, subaccount: &Subaccount) -> Vec<u8> {
    let mut hasher = sha2::Sha224::new();
    hasher.update(b"\x0Aaccount-id");
    hasher.update(owner.as_slice());
    hasher.update(&subaccount[..]);
    let hash: [u8; 28] = hasher.finalize().into();

let mut hasher = crc32fast::Hasher::new();
    hasher.update(&hash);
    let crc32_bytes = hasher.finalize().to_be_bytes();

let mut result = [0u8; 32];
    result[0..4].copy_from_slice(&crc32_bytes[..]);
    result[4..32].copy_from_slice(hash.as_ref());
    result.to_vec()
}

My understanding is that the outcome is the same: sending ICP is executed.

The transfer function is the original feature while icrc1_transfer was added recently as the ICRC-1 standard was adopted.

ckBTC and Snses project use the ICRC-1 ledger that “only” supports icrc1_transfer.
Adding that function to the ICP ledger as well aligns it.

cc @mariop in case my answer would not be accurate.

Each account on the ICP ledger uniquely corresponds to a pair (owner, subaccount).

The to for the transfer method is an account identifier which, roughly speaking is the hash of the pair; this is what the fnnew function computes.

The to for the icrc_transfer method is a struct which keeps the two components separately.

2 Likes

Don’t know why I jumped to that explanation :man_shrugging:. Thanks for properly answering @bogwar .

The two methods are equivalent from the point of view of the user except for the memo which offers more space in icrc1_transfer. The differences are mostly in usability as icrc1_transfer is easier to use in my option.
If we want to be precise, there are the following differences:

1. to: transfer takes in input an AccountIdentifier as the to account while icrc1_transfer takes in input an Account, which is a pair of the Principal owning the account and an optional 32 bytes as subaccount. You can see AccountIdentifier as the hash of an Account. For a user there is really no difference between the two except that Account is easier to build because it requires one less step.
  2. fee: the fee is required in transfer and optional in icrc1_transfer. This is an QoL improvement as the fee is not changing that much. If you set it, the Ledger will execute the transaction iff the value is equivalent to the fee expected by the Ledger.
  3. memo: the memo is a number in transfer while it is a 32 bytes array in icrc1_transfer. I think this is a great improvement because a memo now can contain an identifier of e.g. a transaction on another chain. Moreover, the memo is optional in icrc1_transfer which is another QoL improvement similar to the the one for fee. You don’t always need a memo after all.
  4. created_at_time: it’s optional in both but in transfer the inner TimeStamp is a record with a field timestamp_nanos while in created_at_time the inner type is just u64 (as nanoseconds since the UNIX epoch in the UTC timezone). Again, I see this as a QoL improvement.
  5. amount of tokens: the format of the amount of tokens in the two methods is different. In transfer, an amount of tokens is a record that contains a single field called e8s which is a u64. In icrc1_transfer, an amount is a Nat (keep in mind that this is capped at u64::MAX). This is again a QoL change as it is more natural to represent an amount of tokens as number in my opinion.

icrc1_transfer is a standard method specified in the ICRC-1 Fungible Token Standard while transfer is a method specific to the ICP Ledger. For this reason, we strongly suggest clients to switch to icrc1_transfer and use that one only.

3 Likes