Data sharing between apps / OAuth

Hey fellow developers,

Do we need create a resource sharing standard similar to OAuth for the IC that would allow one canister to obtain limited access to another canister’s resources on behalf of the original resource owner?

For example, let’s say I’m building a Google Drive alternative and I would like DMail, Open Chat, and DSCVR to access some of my folders to read and write files.

Please let me know if you thought about this use case or already implemented something similar.

–Mikhail

1 Like

Very much so. Also interested in standards around role based access control within a multi-canister application, and RBAC between different applications for not just canisters, but principals as well.

However, in the scenario you mentioned would the two applications (canisters) involved be able to identify that my principal on application A (using) and my principal on application B (requesting access) belong to the same identity?

This is currently a topic in the Identity & AuthN (Soon & AuthZ :wink: WG:

4 Likes

correct me if im wrong but isnt there a way for a canister to use another canister function. im talking about the backend smartcontract. i dont know if that counts as resources. but as long as i get the declarations folder of another canister i can use its fuction.
for example i i have the declarations folder of Dmail. i can use its query function and get the mails of a certain ID for my dapp.