Actor Constructor/Initialization (not actor class)

In Motoko are actors allowed to have constructors like actor classes?
If not what is the best way to allow an initialization process to happen for the actor.
For example, if I want to ‘whitelist’ user(s) to have access to do certain actions, the options I see are

1. Create a single actor class instance, initialized with the data I want
  2. Hard code in the principal Id(s) into the code
  3. Allow the ‘controller’ of the canister access to update the user(s) with a custom function (but as far as I can tell the only way to get the controllers is an async call to ic.canister_status(..)

Any thoughts on best practices/missing information would be wonderful

1 Like

Why not just do an actor class?

No specific reason, just felt weird about having a single canister be an actor class. So far I’ve found it more tedious to manage via dfx

The class keyword in Motoko is basically just convenience for manually defining a type and a function that returns a value of that type. The function plays the role of the class constructor.

In your case you could do something like this:

import Buffer "mo:base/Buffer";
import Debug "mo:base/Debug";
import Principal "mo:base/Principal";
type MyClassType = {
  // static members
  new : MyClassConstructorArgs -> MyClass;
};
type MyClassConstructorArgs = {
  controllers : [Principal];
};
type MyClass = {
  // instance members
  addController : Principal -> ();
  getControllers : () -> [Principal];
};
let MyClass : MyClassType = object This {
  public func new(args : MyClassConstructorArgs) : MyClass {
    // private instance members
    let controllers = Buffer.fromArray<Principal>(args.controllers);

// public instance members
    return object this {
      public func addController(controller : Principal) {
        controllers.add(controller);
      };

public func getControllers() : [Principal] {
        return controllers.toArray();
      };
    };
  };
};
let myClassInstance = MyClass.new({
  controllers = [];
});

// prints []
Debug.print(debug_show(myClassInstance.getControllers()));
myClassInstance.addController(Principal.fromText("aaaaa-aa"));

// prints [aaaaa-aa]
Debug.print(debug_show(myClassInstance.getControllers()));

I tried to port this to return actor this and made the return types async but that ended up in a cryptic type error [M0038], misplaced await error despite not even using await anywhere (FYI @claudio)

@Gekctek it’s probably simpler to use an actor class :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You can do something like

shared ({ caller = owner }) actor class Clazz({
  authorizedUsers: [Principal]
}) {
}

Then just upgrade the canister with the arguments passed to the constructor if you want to make a change.

If you’re doing this canister wasm upgrade through another canister the arguments field (args) expects a candid encoded Blob, so you can encode the new constructor arguments (new authorized users) with to_candid.

As a rule of thumb I generally try not to hold the access control list or any frequently updated settings in the canister’s constructor since that requires a full state serialization/de-serialization (expensive).

Better to hold arguments that will change very infrequently

1 Like

Thanks @skilesare, @paulyoung and @icme
Not sure why I was so against the actor class’s, my mental model was that they were just dynamic actors created from a ‘normal’ actor. But its seems that they are more similar than I thought. Ill go this route and see if I have any issues

Ya, I agree. Im trying to do a temporary oracle like setup from an outside source, then converting to an http outcall method. Just was trying to avoid complexity to get a proof of concept going