About Notifications of NNS/SNS Proposals

Hi,

My name is Tiago and am recently in colaboration with CodeGov and was wandering what is the roadmap for Notifications of NNS dApp (for both NNS and SNS proposals).

Recently a TG bot, managed by Christian (a community member) stopped working and I can recover it. But am worried about usage, how users actually become aware of the bot in the first place.

I noticed that the NNS dApp does not have any section for Notifications, would you be willing to consider having a section for it?

To be clear, am talking of this section:

In it you could:

• have App/Mobile notification settings (something you guys could solve when priority allows)
  • have a list of, community operated, notification systems. They could be grouped by platform (TG, OpenChat, DSCVR, Taggr, email, etc.)

Am envisioning each of these options to be either:

• an expandable section (with instructions on it)
  • or a link to a “know more” external website.

Whatever the way, these options and information would be introduced with a simple PR that Dfinity approves (or in a stricter process, that is requested and approved first in an NNS Motion proposal).

Whenever a system stops working (which eventually will happen), the maintainer(s) are notified and have 15 days to solve it. After which the listing will be removed. (But it’s easy to be reinstated, without the need for a formal approval again).

Dfinity Team, what are your thoughts on such a system? Are you interested in aligning and coordinating this effort?

To Notification maintainers, like @Archetypal , Rick (could someone let him know?) , OpenChat team (also let them know), @mechaquan, and any other, can you give feedback on this topic? Do you support and would be interested in having your notification system listed?

Thanks all for your attention and consideration.

3 Likes

I love this idea and would like to see it happen.

As requested by @tiago89 I am tagging @rckprtr @hpeebles @julianjelfs @christian since they are the missing names in the OP.

Also, we have two email distribution lists through Google Groups. One is for Replica Version Management proposals and the other is for Governance and SNS proposals. The script currently runs on a server owned by @jwiegley and I maintain the Google Groups. If appropriate, those email notification options could be added to this effort.

2 Likes

Hello all,

I am one of the NNS-dapp developers. I note that there have been several requests for easy ways to get proposal data recently. We currently have an aggregator that gets data from all SNSs and makes it accessible as JSON with (fast but secure) certified query calls. However we do not collect proposal data and it has been suggested that we add it. I would be a bit wary of jumping to any particular technical solution, e.g. “just” adding proposals to the SNS aggregator, but I do note that there does seem to be wider demand for something like a proposals aggregator. Something that is sounding to me like a cross between a proposals archive and an RSS feed for new proposals.

2 Likes

Hi,

Noticed today that I hadn’t properly “closed” this topic.

On that week, had good discussions with Max (bitdivine), David, as well as Omnia Team (Luca and Massimo), and understood that the problem is:

• App Notifications is not possible because NNS dApp is not a Mobile App, like listed on Apple/Play Store, etc.
  • Web Notifications, is possible but requires someone to generate the keys and pay the bill for the notifications. It requires the user to “optin” on the Chrome or have it “Installed” on the phone. It was solved well by Open Chat, so it is possible (through a centralized service).

Nonetheless, this is a service that needs to be provided by them (Google / Apple), as they are the ones that most efficiently / safely track a user’s phone and location. Since it requires a centralized service, it’s not given much priority / not added to the NNS dApp. :confused:

But at least, new users should have an elegant way to be “redirected” towards the best alternatives on being notified and involved in Governance. This is vital as more and more users want to manually vote on SNS proposals.

I have personally used OpenChat and it works like a charm, never failing on any web notification. It allows to filter for the interested topics (and ignoring the remaining ones). Also it allows to vote directly on the App.

I have suggested on the Original Post how this “elegant” education / redirection could happen, so I won’t repeat myself. But emphasize, this is critical and must be solved if we want more and more people to actively vote.

Product and Design team of Dfinity, would you be so kind to review this request?

Thanks,
Tiago

1 Like