A protocol that can retrieve my seed pharse like a web2 password recovery

Right now web3 users have some sort of trade off while trying to store their secret phrase . Either they use some ledger type wallet , it has physical issues , someone can steal it, it can break etc . (Not to mention ledger was recently hacked in December 2023) . Or he can use a hot wallet like Plug or trust wallet , but he uses maybe google drive or google keep to store them … but those ones have a back door always and not to mention its backed by policies not cryptography . So why isn’t there a trust less or decentralized protocol for seed phrase storage and recovery . Turns out its because the technology for it wasn’t mainstream.

Let me explain …

You see the idea of password recovery only works if there is a central custodial of the password … At the end your username(email) and password account resides in their own database ,hence they have the access to change it . So they created the mechanism of recovery just to make sure your identity (using your email) and they write the code to allow you to change it . After from that , the mechanism evolved by adding some sort of AES encryption so that those who can see the database can’t just see your password plainly … if he has the keys then he can see them plainly . That’s why they say to change your passwords on different platforms. Because at the end , your password is at the mercy of the database admin .

So that’s why metamask , trust wallet etc still don’t have a recover password button . You might be thinking , but hey "Coinbase allows me to store on google drive " … It works by using a password to encrypt it , and its back to the same circle , you have to remember the password . And also Data availability isn’t guarantee by google .

So can we do it now ?

Yes , infact i have done a basic prototype .

So why is it possible now ?

Because of Vet keys …
You see when ICP made tECDSA possible , Vet keys was the natural progression. Where i can store any secret on the blockchain using vet keys . Hence a secret can be stored on blockchain which can only be accessed by the user or the smart contract and not by some "database admin " (hence no back door).
So i used Vet keys and added DKIM signature to it .

Why DKIM Signature ?
This is a signature in all your mainstream emails to verify your email subject and body . So using this you can verify your email without a centralised OTP servers !

So using these to concepts , you can have a linked secret to your email . Such that i can just link my email to my seed phrase and that’s it … I now have the security of hardware and convenience of software recovery .

Why stop here ?

Not really gonna stop here , huge potential ahead , i plan on adding ZK proofs to it and reclaim protocol integration such that you can have social auth like google , amazon etc or even Govt ID like Aadhar etc . All happening trustless and using ZK . Then things like programmable inheritance can be made etc .

Here is the Dapp So far

And the source code

And the DKIM signature verification at

Current protocol :

User Registering

1. User clicks on register which shows 5 digit number that is going to expire in 5 minutes
  2. Then an instruction is set out such that the user has to give a copy of the email which has those 5 digits
  3. Then the user sends an email to the email he want to use as recovery.
  4. Then submits the copy of the email from his recovery email
  5. Then user enters the secret phrase

User Retrieving Secret

1. User enters email
  2. After checking if the email is registered , then a 5 digit number is show
  3. The user sends the copy of a email which has those 5 digit number
  4. The smart contract verifies the email using DKIM and return the phrase

Thanks to @lastmjs for helping me out in the DKIM signature part .

6 Likes