Oh wow, I completely misunderstood you original comment:
I thought you meant 40bytes per assembly line/instruction.
40 billion instructions sounds non-trivial, but less daunting.
Regarding wordpress, I guess this is the one your are talking about right?
I see the fellow mentioning that they need 200B cycles for a page load.
Now ruby also likely has a runtime that needs to run in wasm that will load your ruby code and do things. It is very unlikely that this ruby vm stops every 2-8 seconds and cedes control back to the replica to record state
I will take a look at the icp demo backends to better understand what you are talking about here and how the memory gets persisted from run to run. for example, does the IC runtime send a progression of kill messages that increase in severity as it approaches the DTS limit?
It seems as though you are saying that IC canisters are pretty much limited to individual lambdas/functions, and you’d need to rig a bunch of them together to perform workflows, etc.
I mean, that’s pretty much what my initial inquiry is no? How far I lean in is TDB, a lot of this is new for me and just a lil hobby project.
It’s much easier now on the ruby-side also, ruby-wasm shipped its first release in 2021 I think.
I do think that IC is gonna need to define a target-triplet (or whatever you wanna call it). So that the appropriate build flags can evolve with the spec/standard.
If IC’s objective is to become a runtime that wins widespread adoption at least.
Cheers