Proposal: Composite Queries

Thanks for the idea, @claudio. I haven’t considered this option.

Right now it is not clear whether we can manage to get secure caller_id in cross-subnet calls or not.
I think we have the following options:

A. We manage to make caller_id secure in cross-subnet calls. There is an idea by @bogwar on how to support secure/repeated cross-subnet queries with replication factor of f+1 in a subnet with 3f+1 nodes. That would be something between non-replicated and fully replicated execution mode. I’ll write up a detailed explanation of the idea.

B. We are not able to make caller_id secure in cross-subnet calls.

• B.1 [dynamic caller-id]: Replace caller_id with the anonymous principal is cross-subnet calls, but keep it valid in same-subnet calls.
  • B.2 [caller-id signed by node]: Follow @nomeata’s suggestion that there is no critical regression in security if the node is able to query what any canister that it is hosting can query.
  • B.3 [disable caller-id for composite queries]. This is your suggestion.

The plan is to make option A work because that maximises the usefulness of composite queries. If that fails then fall back to B.1 or B.2.

As @skilesare mentioned, it seems that option B.3. will greatly reduce the usefulness of composite queries even in cases when the caller_id is guaranteed to be secure (same subnet calls and calls from users).

2 Likes