NNS Proposal: Make canister_status public to anyone

Thank you for weighing in @dsarlis!

I think most comments here have said they would be in favor of D, so I think when this comes to a proposal that would certainly be the one to be suggested.

I’m not convinced that a sophisticated cycles drain attack is such a huge issue compared with all the other footguns the IC has. Cycles are very cheap compared to other blockchains, there is an instruction limit per call, and there are a limited amount of messages per second that a canister can handle. There is a nice protection mechanism with the freezing_threshold and just depositing a boatload of cycles into anything critical.

Personally when developing a canister I’m far more worried about exposing a single function somewhere that can be used to freely add state and can be used to fill my canister up with junk.

With regards to doing anything that can be done at a canister level there I have to disagree. I heard the same arguments with adding variable intervals to the heartbeat functionality. Needing to rely on another canister is a pain for something so small. And after some feedback from the community it seems like DFINITY wants to provide it at the system level now.

With ethereum and other EVM chains smartcontracts are immutable, can’t run out of cycles, and they don’t suddenly get errors when they reach a certain amount of state.

When you rely on any other service on the IC for something critical you have to make sure that all these things are taken care of which comes down to needing to do a full security audit. And even then you still have to monitor the cycles of every service you are using yourself if you want to be absolutely sure that it won’t break.

I think anytime the system can provide something that is fairly basic that is a far superior option. Option D seem intuitively like far less work to me than the new heartbeat API. It’s just adding an extra permission to an api that already exists.

One thing that would be especially nice compared to the blackhole canister is that everybody calling this system API would have to pay the cycles for it themselves as opposed to the owner of the blackhole canister.

I could just write a script that starts spamming the blackhole e3mmv-5qaaa-aaaah-aadma-cai for free right now. It could make any other canister relying on it way slower and also at the time of writing it only seems to have 4,019,244,002,015 / 1,000,000,000,000 = 4.019244 Trillion cycles.