Is Hot or Not Decentralised?

Congratulations to the Hot or Not Team on their successful SNS sale! It’s great to see another team getting funded and contributing to Dfinity in the web3 arena

While reviewing the Hot or Not proposals, I couldn’t help but notice some interesting voting patterns across all of them. Proposals are getting executed in seconds with majority voting power. I wonder if these votes are coming from a single person or team?

Proposal 18 was executed in just 10 seconds with a 51.9% vote, and the same goes for Proposal 17, which was executed in 7 seconds with 51.9% vote.

Proposal 18 was executed in 10 seconds with a 51.9% vote.

Link: Hot or Not Proposal: 18 - ICP Dashboard

Proposal 17 was executed in 7 seconds with a 51.9 %vote

link: Hot or Not Proposal: 17 - ICP Dashboard

All the remaining proposals follow the same pattern.

Suggestion to HotorNot team: It might be worth taking some time between proposals to create a sense of community involvement in the voting process.

Leave your comments and feedback…

1 Like

The best governance is no governance.

1 Like

I have all HOT neurons (4-year) following the developer neuron to help gain the majority quickly, on purpose as do many others. I see passing a proposal quickly as an advantage to the project - they shouldn’t delay the inevitable as majority rules - if the dev neuron and it’s followers have majority then let’s move fast instead of stifling innovation and progress as competition is fierce, in my opinion, as you are entitled to your opinion as well.
But why treat the devs as a second class of governance token holder and only allow them to vote at the last minute, I think they should vote immediately.
It kinda brings up a question or thought that I had, can a project have multiple levels of governance tokens that have to follow specific rules, like stock in corporation, A shares, B shares, C shares. Is there an example of this in a crypto project or Dao? I just wanted to see if something like that was implemented already. For example, Class A governance tokens can vote for a proposal at anytime during the proposal voting period, but Class B governance tokens (tokens issued to the developers) are only allowed to vote on last day of open voting, perhaps.

2 Likes

To ensure the continued momentum of development at HotOrNot, we have implemented an immediate dev neuron voting process. Going forward, all development-related topics will be subject to immediate voting from the development team. By utilizing this approach, we aim to sustain the same development velocity we had prior to the introduction of the SNS.

Furthermore, it’s worth noting that the neurons following the dev neuron, also participate in the voting process simultaneously, because they are following the developer neuron that is putting up the proposals.

With this process in place, we will continue to maintain our development velocity for code updates.

Finally, we’ll follow this process for all proposal categories that involve app/code updates. For all other proposal categories, including token transfers, both ICP & HOT tokens, motion or system parameter changes, we’ll wait for the community to vote first, and then proceed based on community consensus.

3 Likes

Algorand uses a multiple facet governance system. Expert governors and governors. Expert governors propose, and vote on said proposals to be released to the governors to vote on each quarter.

1 Like

Hi @rishichadha30,

Thankyou for the clarification.

I didn’t know that SNS have the option to follow dev neurons. I am using this option in NNS. Please help me if anyone know how to do this?

So as per your statement , the dev neuron can pass any proposal with out the help of community. In addition to this you didn’t create any Liquidity in dexes. So as a community member and an investor I have deep concerns about HOT or NOT future.

Thankyou.

The team reached out to large investors who decided to follow the dev neuron. I was one of them, I don’t have any concerns about them whatsoever, I think it’s best they have full control over the project for the foreseeable future, and don’t want them to be delayed waiting for proposals to be adopted.

4 Likes