Improving the Cycle Management Experience

Unfortunately, there was another bug in one of the proposals and, as a result, the cycles ledger was not reinstalled.

We will have to do another round of voting:

• If proposal 130327 is accepted, the cycles ledger will be reinstalled.
  • If proposal 130328 is accepted, the cycles index canister will be reinstalled.

The cycles ledger and the index have successfully been reinstalled and we reimbursed the accounts that existed before reinstallation.

3 Likes

Hi, I have a question about the current state of the cycles ledger. Is it ready to use it in production right now or it‘s experimental right now?

The reason why i ask is I found different opinions about that.

The cycles ledger is ready for use in production.

7 Likes

We just submitted an upgrade proposal for the cycles ledger.

The proposal adds a logo to the cycles ledger and fixes a bug where a newly created canister was controlled by the cycles ledger instead of the principal that asked the cycles ledger to create a canister for it. Thank you very much @chenyan for the bug report.

4 Likes

The CodeGov project team completed reviews for the proposal and voted to adopt it. You can find details on OpenChat

4 Likes

Are there plans for the cycles ledger to make it into the dfx nns extension?

1 Like

There are currently no such plans. What functionality would you like to see there?

To be able to install and import the cycles ledger locally via the dfx nns extension, or a specific dfx install cycles-ledger extension.

This would reduce adoption friction for those that want to test against the cycles ledger without needing to manually set things up by go to the by downloading the latest wasm from the GitHub releases page and then setting that up in dfx.

The cycles ledger is pullable, so you can use dfx deps to set it up locally.

Isn’t this sufficient for your use case?

2 Likes

Ah, hadn’t used the dfx deps feature yet :sweat_smile: - that should work great though, thanks :pray:

We just submitted an upgrade proposal for the cycles ledger.

The upgrade only bumps the ic-cdk version in order to patch a security issue. We’ll publish more details about the security issue after all affected canisters are patched.

6 Likes

Details about the security issue have been released in this post:

1 Like

not including the dfx convert command, if I want to convert ICP to cycles balance in the ledger, what do I do? With notifying the topping up of a canister I use the notify_top_up command after sending icp to the cmc right? Is that the same way for topping up a principal thats not a canister?
@THLO ?

As stated on the wiki page, you also transfer ICP to the CMC first but then you call notify_mint_cycles on the CMC, which will send the minted cycles to the cycles ledger, increasing the balance of the caller’s account.

1 Like

Oh sounds good, I’ve been using the canlista for the cycles minter and it never had that function.

Appreciate it.

@Severin @THLO I have a process that is going through a dance of minting cycles to the ledger via deposit and then immediately withdrawing them to a canister on the cursed BOB subnet. Is it possible that the cycles ledger could be slow rolling those or that I may have tripped some strange thing that no one has foreseen? Or that subnet communication is doing something funky? I’ve upped my compete allocation to 17 on that subnet and I still can’t get my canister to stop. I only have 112 canisters that it is cycling through and it doesn’t seem like it should be taking this long. I haven’t seen a transaction from my canister in about 45 minutes, but everyone in a while one will pop up.

I’m sorry if this sends you down a rabbit hole, but I thought I’d check.

There are no special mechanisms in place. The cycles ledger simply fires off a deposit_cycles call to the (target subnet’s) management canister. It’s then up to the target subnet to schedule the management canister. I don’t think compute allocation would help in this case as the call targets aaaaa-aa instead of your canister’s principal, but that’s only an educated guess