[Feedback Wanted] Wrapped Bitcoin Ledger on the Internet Computer

That’s a good point, and you’re right, there’s an obvious conflict with Compound Ether (CETH).

I’m expecting to have a lot of discussions (& debates) with individuals about the merits of wrapped assets on the IC. It would be nice if the prefix could lead into a discussion about the security attributes of the asset. I thought Canister served this purpose well but I’m sure there are other good options.

If someone asks me why we called it Infinity (or Infinite) BTC what am I supposed to say? Open to suggestions.

1 Like

I think we should call it icBTC…so I wouldn’t ever suggest discussing infinite Bitcoin with anyone. Bitcoiners will not be very appreciative of that wording.

3 Likes

In some programming languages when we need to name a derivative function we attach a suffix of ' which is pronounced “prime”

i.e. BTC' for “BTC Prime” or “Bitcoin Prime”

One of the most common modern notations for differentiation is named after Joseph Louis Lagrange, even though it was actually invented by Euler and just popularized by the former. In Lagrange’s notation, a prime mark denotes a derivative. If f is a function, then its derivative evaluated at x is written

f'(x)

3 Likes

I have a softly-held opinion on naming I want to pose by you all regarding naming conventions like “iBTC” or other types (fwiw, i voted for that on the Twitter poll Jordan held). I am very much prepared for folks to ignore this, as feedback is what I am looking for:

1. The more I read this thread, the more I think the more user helpful version of what we are doing is using a verb (though not “wrapped”) rather than a proper noun.
  2. A proper noun like iBTC, iCBTC, *BTC, etc… connotes (from a distance) a new chain or new token asset.
  3. A verb connotes that it is the same underlying token…. But some action was taken on it.
  4. I have no opinion on which verb
4 Likes

Going along with that, I would suggest the following (not all verbs but more ideas as well:

• Threshold BTC
  • Shamir BTC
  • Shared BTC
  • Secret shared BTC
  • Threshold Shared BTC
  • Chain key BTC (ooh…ckBTC)

Something about the threshold shamir secret sharing chain keyness of it all. I like saying Chain Key Bitcoin.

4 Likes

Some ideas:
“mantled” BTC
“augmented” BTC
“morphed” BTC - from “Neuromorphic engineering”, basically to morph BTC become smarter, faster.
If BTC direct integration only make BTC “smarter”, we need to “morph” it to make it “smarter & faster” to harvest full potential of ICP technology.

How do we abbreviate it while not trying to give impression it is a new asset ? The idea is using agnostic coding symbol as identifier. Such as bracket (BTC), or other coding symbol. But I do not know if using such symbols make it less compatible and cause problem.

Encased BTC (eBTC). Verb for being BTC inside a canister.

1 Like

Bit confused, do you mean adjective instead of verb?

If so, I think that is a good point. Personally I like “Smart BTC” or “SBTC” but most SXXX tickers are already taken by synthetix.

One suggestion would be “Agile BTC” or “ABTC”. Some definitions for agile are:

1. quick and well-coordinated in movement → as in BTC on IC is fast
  2. active; lively → as in IC brings new life to BTC as a programmable asset
  3. mentally acute or aware → as in BTC becomes smarter

I realize that it can bring connections to the AGILE development methodology, but I suppose that philosophy goes hand in hand with IC’s iterative and collaborative improvements through proposals.

2 Likes

This discussion on Twitter has gone well, and I think I’ve found my favorite name:

Chain Key Bitcoin (ckBTC)
Chain Key Ether (ckETH)

Chain Key Assets are secured by a chain key pair and canister smart contract.

The chain key pair simultaneously functions on the IC and the blockchain of the chain key asset, providing a seamless integration.

I think we need to avoid one letter prefixes (because it will be hard to ensure they are available to be used for the many assets coming to the IC), and choosing a prefix that somewhat describes the underlying technology without tying us to one specific blockchain seems ideal. The prefix should lead to fruitful discussions about how the technology works, why it’s different than other “wrapped” technologies.

Thus I vote for ckBTC, and as a runner up icBTC.

6 Likes

I do like the reminding of readers about chain key, as well.

2 Likes

I also like how the “c” could stand for canister. Could be chain/canister key Bitcoin. I like this thought process here: https://twitter.com/weedpatchtwo/status/1492267302552694784

1 Like

I really like using chain key in the name. Thank you for taking the time to engage with the community on this.

Do you have any plans to submit a motion proposal for this naming convention?

2 Likes

It is a new asset in itself, obtained by locking real BTC, but this cross-chain does not require new security assumptions.

So similar to other WBTC, RENBTC in the industry, we can also use *BTC.

integrated btc: IBTC or GBTC

ckBTC looks cool.

How about CKBTC though (which is how it would look on listings)? I worry it’s too many letters… Very few tokens use 5 letters for their ticker symbol. And when they do, it usually spells out a real word like THETA.

3 Likes

I think it’s fine, at least in the fact that there are multiple other BTC tokens that are similar: Bitcoin At Work

• renBTC
  • ibBTC
  • imBTC
  • acBTC
1 Like

From a non-technical point of view, we’re going pretty “internet computer” with the name ckBTC. What I mean by that is a lot of people preferred the name DFINITY (DFN) for the governance token initially. While the name Internet Computer expresses the technicals better, DFINITY just had more spark and was intuitive to the average consumer.

DFN: “It’s decentralized while also being infinitely scalable.”

iBTC seemed to be the most intuitive name from the ones discussed. I can imagine conversations going like below for each name:

“What is iBTC” >It’s bitcoin on internet computer

vs.

“What is ckBTC” >it’s chain key bitcoin
“What is chain key” > etc etc etc, really they still might not even know what you’re talking about

tl;dr I like iBTC, but I think proposals would be helpful too :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I also really like ckBTC, probably my new favorite.

5 Likes

it also has internal rhyme if you pronounce it “chain key B.T.C”

5 Likes

Ooooooooooooooooooooh (I need to add this in order to post)

2 Likes

Like Michael Lee mentioned, should just leave it as BTC. Will look and feel more familiar when trading on dexes. Adding c, i, k and all that other stuff in front of the name just seems weird.

1 Like