Community Proposal: Assessing node inflation based on token price

Hi all,

Following up on questions raised in this channel on the connection of the ICP price and the minting of node provider rewards, I thought it would be useful to share the following analysis. The underlying calculations are in this sheet.

Conducted analysis

• The NNS currently mints the equivalent of 1.38M XDR for all node providers per month.
  • Based on that number, I have analyzed the relationship of minted node provider rewards and voting rewards under different price levels, including some extreme scenarios.
    • Today: ICP/XDR=3.00,
    • Scenario 1: ICP/XDR=1.5 and thus 50% down
    • Scenario 2: ICP/XDR=0.75 and thus 75% down
  • For each scenario, I have analyzed the relationship of node provider rewards compared to total rewards, total supply and the daily trading volume of ICP.

Conclusions

• The proportion of node provider rewards compared to the overall amount of rewards is relatively small. It varies between 12% for price levels as of today and reaches 35% for the most extreme scenario 2.
  • Monthly node provider rewards compared to the average daily trading volume in Nov’22 are also small at 2.77% (daily trading volume= approx. 50M XDR as per coingecko)
  • The proportion of monthly node provider rewards compared to total supply is 0.38% for the most extreme scenario 2 (ICP/XDR=0.75). Thus, even if the ICP price remained at 0.75 XDR for a whole year, the increase of the total supply due to the minting of node provider rewards would be only 4.51%.
  • As mentioned above, @Kyle_Langham started publishing a monthly report on NNS and ICP Token metrics, which also includes node provider rewards. We can rely on this report for the monitoring of monthly ICP minting.

21 Likes