Welcome to Internet Identity. New user? Register with Internet Identity

We haven’t announced support for Windows Hello, but from what we understand it should work. One of our teammates is going to dig in. I don’t actually own a laptop with Hello enabled, so it’s the one platform I wasn’t able to test in time for launch.

In our guide, we do recommend security keys, because you can use them seamlessly across devices and browsers, and they are a much safer choice if you are using your Internet Identity to hold value, such as with the NNS app

3 Likes

I have win10, chrome and I cant create new account
What I must to do?

2 Likes

I’ve tried both on linux and win10. I see no way to register account. I think you should give us the right to create an account protected only by a regular password. It’s better than not giving the opportunity to register at all.

2 Likes

Your feedback is noted, although the decision to avoid passwords came from above me, and I wouldn’t count on it in the near term.

There are considerable advantages to this approach, by the way. Your account is truly anonymous, and cannot be breached without someone taking control of you device or security key. Passwords cannot be leaked, and there is no need to write down or keep track of seed phrases. We also expect WebAuthn to get better at using native support over time.

If you are looking to use the NNS app, we currently recommend creating an account with your phone. For Windows and Linux your best compatibility is to use a FIDO U2F - compatible device, like a Yubikey or a Ledger wallet.

Chrome on iOS 87.0.4280.163 iPhone 11 (latest version according to app store at least) - dfinity says browser doesn’t support the necessary features. Works from Safari using face recognition.

1 Like

Having used Internet Identity today for the first time, I personally think that the decision to ditch passwords was the right one. Most people have a compatible phone and security keys can be had cheaply.

I think the UX is actually amazing. One of the coolest innovations that I have seen in a long time.

1 Like

Is there a process to registering a new device (eg, laptop) if my first registered device was my cell phone? When I try to log into Internet Identity through a browser on a new device I am prompted to insert a security key (usb).

I might be missing something but I do not see an option to add a registered device on the Internet Identity app on my phone.

1 Like

You can open up identity.ic0.app on your laptop, and click the Add a new device link. From there, you will authenticate with WebAuthn, and then you can scan a QR code with your phone’s camera to link your new device

1 Like

This is what I am greeted with after I enter in my User Number

1 Like

Yes, so your browser is not passing the WebAuthn request to a initiate Windows Hello, and we recommend using a security key for added security and for Windows support.

Don’t hold me to it, but maybe Edge might work?

Unfortunately it doesn’t work in Edge either

If you have a ledger nano s you can also use it as it is Fido u2f compliant.

2 Likes

We do have a plan for a fancier device linking strategy that we decided to hold off on due to time constraints. I think we could build that in a way that would allow a mobile device to delegate its identity to a desktop browser to create a more accessible option.

I’ll discuss with the team and see if there’s a path forward for improving access for a broader set of devices and for people without hardware keys

4 Likes

Hey Kyle, I have been registering an iPhone and an iPad yesterday (Monday) and it worked fine. Auth with FaceID or fingerprint on an older iPad. But today I can no longer login.

After putting in my user number I am asked to connect my security key to my iPhone. Which does not make any sense and is not possible. Same on the iPad.

How do I resolve that issue?

yeah, it sounds like the phone isn’t triggering the hardware authentication. Is your device software fully up to date, and are you using Safari?

Yes, up to date. iOS 14.5.1 - same as yesterday. Same device as yesterday. Safari.

That’s frustrating, and we’ll definitely review it. Do you mind listing the steps to reproduce, starting from a logged-out browser?

I’m bummed… iPhone is registered but Chrome book and new samsung tablet won’t work both are Chrome
Any suggestions?

tried desktop ubuntu with chrome . not functioning

I restart my iPhone, open Safari, enter identity.ic0.app.
I get the login screen that asks for my User Number.
I enter the user number and press login.
(the user number is definitely the correct one I received when registering yesterday)
I get the message: “Do you wan to sign in to “identity.ic0.app” using a security key? …”

At that moment I can not proceed. Neither on the iPhone nor the iPad.
Had both devices registered yesterday.
Started with the iPhone and than added the iPad.
Had a few successful logins yesterday.
But from this afternoon (european time) I found no way to get back in.

1 Like

Perfect, thanks! Hope we’ll have a resolution for you soon

1 Like