RegEx Motoko Analysis - #35
Current Status: Discussion
- Discussion (01/09/2023)
- Ratification: (01/09/2023)
- Open for application: (01/09/2023)
- In Review
- Bounty Amount: $500 USD of ICP at award date - $500 USD of ICP Match Available
- ICDevs.org Bounty Acceleration: $500 For each 1 ICP sent to 8b9cbe90c23b9d0a36006e6623205e89c72938d064c911bdbf4fde9e17280b20, ICDevs.org will add $40 USD of ICP at award date to the bounty, up to the first 12.5 ICP donated, After 12.5 ICP, donations to the above address will add .25 ICP to this issue and .75 ICP to fund other ICDevs.org initiatives.
- Project Type: Individual
- Opened: 01/09/2023
- Time Commitment: Days
- Project Type: Analysis
- Experience Type: Intermediate - Motoko;
Motoko needs a more robust text search library. There are many options to complete this task. The options are:
- Create a motoko library written in motoko that can be included in the base libraries for RegEx based text searches.
- Integrate a native regex library into the compiler as an optional compiler flag(see timer switches)
- Add generic rust crate integration and imports into the motoko system so that existing rust crates can be included and called from motoko programs.
This is an analysis bounty that asks the developer to review the options and to make a recommendation about the pros, cons, and estimates of doing each three mentioned strategies.
You should work with the motoko team at DFINITY to understand the complications with the different scenarios and understand their priorities as it comes to the future of motoko. We would like to develop significant motoko compiler experience outside of the Foundation, but we don’t want to duplicate work or undertake work that is currently on the road map in the immediate future.
This bounty gives the opportunity to
- learn about the motoko compiler
- work with the motoko team to understand their priorities
- learn regex
To apply for this bounty you should:
- Include links to previous work writing tutorials and any other open-source contributions(ie. your github).
- Include a brief overview of how you will complete the task. This can include things like which dependencies you will use, how you will make it self-contained, the sacrifices you would have to make to achieve that, or how you will make it simple. Anything that can convince us you are taking a thoughtful and expert approach to this design.
- Give an estimated timeline on completing the task.
- Post your application text to the Bounty Thread
The ICDevs.org developer’s advisors will propose a vote to award the bounty and the Developer Advisors will vote.
Please keep your ongoing code in a public repository(fork or branch is ok). Please provide regular (at least weekly) updates. Code commits count as updates if you link to your branch/fork from the bounty thread. We just need to be able to see that you are making progress.
The balance of the bounty will be paid out at completion.
Once you have finished, please alert the dev forum thread that you have completed work and where we can find that work. We will review and award the bounty reward if the terms have been met. If there is any coordination work(like a pull request) or additional documentation needed we will inform you of what is needed before we can award the reward.
Bounty Abandonment and Re-awarding
If you cease work on the bounty for a prolonged(at the Developer Advisory Board’s discretion) or if the quality of work degrades to the point that we think someone else should be working on the bounty we may re-award it. We will be transparent about this and try to work with you to push through and complete the project, but sometimes, it may be necessary to move on or to augment your contribution with another resource which would result in a split bounty.
The bounty was generously funded by the DFINITY Foundation. If you would like to turbocharge this bounty you can seed additional donations of ICP to 8b9cbe90c23b9d0a36006e6623205e89c72938d064c911bdbf4fde9e17280b20. ICDevs will match the bounty $40:1 ICP for the first 12.5 ICP out of the DFINITY grant and then 0.25:1. All donations will be tax deductible for US Citizens and Corporations. If you send a donation and need a donation receipt, please email the hash of your donation transaction, physical address, and name to email@example.com. More information about how you can contribute can be found at our donations page.
FYI: General Bounty Process
The draft bounty is posted to the DFINITY developer’s forum for discussion
The developer advisor’s board will propose a bounty be ratified and a vote will take place to ratify the bounty. Until a bounty is ratified by the Dev it hasn’t been officially adopted. Please take this into consideration if you are considering starting early.
Open for application
Developers can submit applications to the Dev Forum post. The council will consider these as they come in and propose a vote to award the bounty to one of the applicants. If you would like to apply anonymously you can send an email to austin at icdevs dot org or sending a PM on the dev forum.
A developer is currently working on this bounty, you are free to contribute, but any splitting of the award will need to be discussed with the currently assigned developer.
The Dev Council is reviewing the submission
The award has been given and the bounty is closed.