The State and Direction of Decentralization & Nodes on the Internet Computer

Hi guys
I’m planning to host a single node in southeast Asia and scale to 10. For that, I need critical information. Bandwidth requirement. According to stats, 300Mbps is recommended per node ? Also it will be a dedicated fiber line. Appreciate any help here

Hi @ritvick, thanks for sharing!

Dear all, as you have probably seen the remuneration proposal V2 was published on the Internet Computer wiki (NP Remuneration V2) and voted in by the community. During the past few weeks, valuable feedback was shared by both the community as well as future and existing Node Providers. I would like to share with you the major feedback and the outline of the proposal that is being prepared for an updated remuneration model (which will be called V2.1).

Feedback from the community

In general, responses have been positive on the remuneration model V2, and this model is seen as a further step in the direction towards a fully automated remuneration model that is run by the NNS. A small group of new Node Providers have started the onboarding process and as is visible on the Internet Computer dashboard, the first node machines based on the Gen2 Hardware Specification have been added to the network.

In the meantime, there have been several suggestions and comments from the community to further improve the remuneration model:

• The main suggestion has been that rewards should be based on costs for running node machines in a specific country instead of a more coarse-grained region, in particular for the Asian region. The costs for buying a node machine do not differ considerably across countries, but costs for operating the nodes (in particular the networking costs) can be significantly different across countries, even within a specific region.
  • Hence, instead of having a remuneration per region (as is the case remuneration V2) having a more granular remuneration per country is more accurate for future node providers.
  • Another suggestion has been to let the multiplier cover the actual risk premium (business risk, project risk, country risk) for operating a node machine. The multiplier should not cover differences in operating costs for running a node machine. Like the first suggestion, this suggestion also implies to have specific remuneration per country instead of per region.
  • A final suggestion has been made regarding the decentralization goals. The goal of decentralization should be to introduce Gen2 node machines in new countries (and to a limited extent in existing countries) until a certain number of node machines is reached. After this number of node machines is reached, there should be less incentive to add more node machines in that specific country as it would not add to the further decentralization of the IC-network. Hence, after a certain number of node machines has been reached in a country, the remuneration model should be updated to reflect this. This update applies only to the subsequently added nodes.

Remuneration V2.1

Based on these suggestions, an updated remuneration model for Gen2 is proposed which for clarity is called V2.1 remuneration. There is no change in the parameters and formulas used (geography multiplier and reduction coefficient), so the basics of the remuneration model do not change.

The specific changes proposed are the following:

• No entry for the region Asia will be used anymore. For the Asia region, specific country entries will be used.
  • Specific entries for Hong Kong and India and other countries will be added to the remuneration table. In future, through community proposals, other country entries will be added as well.
  • The multiplier is set to a value of 2 for all countries. In future, this might be updated through a new NNS proposal if the community wants that the risk premium for projects should be different for different countries (for example, if the risk of running in node machine in one specific country is higher than the risk of running in node machine in another country, this might validate a different multiplier).
  • A limit is set to the number of node machines in new countries for which the remuneration applies. Once this is reached, the reduction coefficient for additional node machines will be adjusted to allow adding only one or two nodes for this country, similar to existing countries like U.S. and Switzerland. Currently, the limit of number of Gen2 node machines per country is set to 50, which allows for a node in a new country to be added to every existing subnet.
  • For the few Node Providers that have in the meantime started the onboarding process, the remuneration V2 will apply. This will cover a maximum of 12 node machines in total in these countries.

I will update in this thread as well once the corresponding NNS proposal is live for voting.

Going forward

With this updated remuneration model, the incentive for new Node Providers to set up a small number of node machines in new countries remains, while at the same time the model sets a limit on the number of node machines to be added per country and allows for a more specific remuneration per country.

Like the remuneration model V2, the remuneration model V2.1 is also an intermediate model. Based on the suggestions and proposals from the community, the remuneration model will be further refined. Possible updates suggested, which need to be further discussed in the community, are the introduction of country risk (as discussed above), and the introduction of penalties when a node machine is not healthy.

Please continue to share any additional thoughts and suggestions on this remuneration model in this Forum thread!

9 Likes

Hey @SvenF, thanks for this detailed info.

My name is Marc Johnson and I work for Protocol Labs on an initiative called Filecoin Green. We work across the entire network: IPFS/Filecoin/FVM. I’m interested in becoming an ICP Node Provider and want to connect with someone to make sure I have my info right before I submit my Self Declaration docs to the community for consideration and purchase my hardware. I have relationships with several DCs in areas that currently do not have ICP nodes, and I’m looking into hosting several Nodes. Would you or one of your colleagues be willing to connect?

More info on me here: marcjohnson.info

8 Likes

Many thanks @marcjohnson for your interest, I will follow up with you.

2 Likes

The Remuneration V2.1 is quite impressive! I was wondering if there is any documentation available that explains the process of adding a country, such as Sri Lanka, to the Remuneration table under the Asia region. In Southeast Asia, the availability of ICP node providers is limited, and I’m keen on investing in that area. I plan to submit a proposal to onboard as a node provider next week. It would be highly appreciated if you could provide some clarification regarding the missing region. Thank you and cheers!

Hello @SvenF and community, I am Mukta, and I am pleased to share that I have been actively participating in the IC ecosystem for approximately a year now. My engagement in several projects within the IC network has provided me with a profound understanding of the potential of IC technology and its prospective impact on our future.

Driven by my interest and in recognition of this potential, I am expressing my intention to contribute more significantly to the IC ecosystem by undertaking the role of a node provider. My strategic plan encompasses hosting a series of nodes distributed across various global locations.

I am looking forward to this endeavor and appreciate any guidance or insights that the community can provide as I embark on this journey.

7 Likes

Dear all, please note that the accompanying NNS proposal for the remuneration model V2.1 is live for voting under Proposal: 122281 - IC Dashboard

2 Likes

Congratulations to you and the team at dfinity for all the work involved with producing the new country based remuneration model. This will surely be a better way of stimulating interest among current and future IC node providers to make this World Computer true to it’s name geographically as well as computationally.

I am looking forward to a follow up proposal setting up parameters for Australia and New Zealand in the near future along with other countries in Africa, Asia, Oceania and South America.

3 Likes

This is great :rocket:. Thanks, @SvenF and the whole Dfinity team for putting in so much effort in consistent steps towards decentralization of the #internetcomputer.

3 Likes

@marvelousmukta welcome to the ICP community. Your contribution to the node network for ICP would be most welcome. I have got a lot of questions answered by the community plus the leads even with their busy schedule. I can share my journey over PM or even on a call

1 Like

Hit me up, I can help

2 Likes

I sent you a message

Rivram Inc. is proposing to register a new data center in Navi Mumbai, India. Please find the proposal here Proposal: 122561 - IC Dashboard
With this, we will offer colocation services for Internet Computer Node Providers and other blockchain validator operators. We are utilizing the web works infrastructure and dedicated fibre connectivity with tier-1 ISP providers in India.

We will be soon announcing our operator record proposal upon acceptance of the DC record creation.

3 Likes

Hi all,

The remuneration model V2.1 (voted in by the community, see Proposal: 122281 - IC Dashboard) is the current basis for the node machine rewards of Gen2 Node Providers. Based on this remuneration model, new node machines have been onboarded and are in the process of being onboarded in Hong Kong, India, South Africa, as well as in Europe, all of which will greatly help in the decentralization of the IC-network.

With plans from the community to set up Node Providers in other new locations as well, specifically in South Korea, Georgia, Sri Lanka and Australia, the remuneration for setting up node machines in these countries needs to be added in the reward table. You can find the additional entries for these countries on the wiki page (see Node Provider Remuneration - Internet Computer Wiki) and find the proposal here: Proposal: 123312 - IC Dashboard.

Depending on the growth of the IC-network, the remuneration table will be updated and refined for new geographies. Any updates will be posted as a new proposal to be voted upon by the community.

3 Likes

Hi Sven, on the Wiki page, in the table which shows “the geography-dependent values and the monthly reward for the first node onboarded”, I read the reduction coefficient for Australia as “0.05”. Is it by mistake? Because it is relatively way much lower than other countries.

1 Like

Thanks @Ozkangurhan, that’s actually a typo, it should be 0.95 as in the proposal that is under voting. It now has been corrected on the wiki.

3 Likes

Hello @SvenF,
I am writing to introduce myself, Sagar, as an experienced professional with a background in IC. Over the past two years, my team and I have successfully assisted numerous projects in developing their products within the IC ecosystem. Our journey has also involved the creation of various internal tools, which have significantly enhanced our understanding of IC ecosystems.

Having held roles ranging from developer to Product Owner and Project Manager, I am now eager to embark on a new venture as a node provider. I am delighted that my company is committed to investing in the decentralization of IC and is keen on establishing nodes in India.

In light of this, I am seeking guidance and valuable information to aid us in this endeavor. Your expertise and insights would be highly appreciated, and I look forward to the opportunity to learn from your knowledge and experience.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I eagerly await your response.

2 Likes

@sagcryptoicp, thanks for your message and great to see that you are interested in becoming a node provider.

Please have a look at the wiki information for becoming a Node Provider, and see if this answers your questions: Main Page - Internet Computer Wiki. Feel free to post any remaining questions here on in the forum thread on New Node Provider Proposals (https://forum.dfinity.org/t/new-node-provider-proposals) for the community to respond to.

1 Like

So I understand that the new node does not need an IPV4 address for the time being, because the official document only reflects the mask, prefix and gateway address of IPV6 in the node’s config.ini configuration file, and does not mention how to configure the public network IPV4 address.
I don’t know if what I understand is correct, thank you very much @icarus @hoosan