Technical Working Group: Identity & Wallet Standards

Thanks for letting us know, let me see what folks can find and if they can reproduce

2 Likes

I think this is due to the last upgrade to the ii, you just need to refresh the page.

Trust me, neither refreshing the page, not updating the browser, not cleaning cookies does not help. At the same time, a person wrote to me that he has the opposite situation, i.e. everything works in Firefox and does not work in Chrome.

Just checked again and it’s working!

this is quite odd. What happens here is that the canister embeds the canister ID in the HTML and set a global javascript variable that is then read by the javascript code (served separately).

If this happens again, could you open your browser’s developer console and see if the HTML contains something like this?

important here is the var canisterId bit. You can open this view by pressing F12 or Cmd + Option + I on macos.

1 Like

FYI we’re working on documentation and need to bring in a full-time content writer to more fully showcase our direction, but we are developing NFID into an SSI. In fact, we participated in the Internet Identity Workshop and shared our progress with Drummond, who had worked with Jan Camenisch (Dfinity CTO) in the past and is excited to see how this develops.

We’ll introduce the first verifiable credential this month, complete with us as an issuer to one of your DIDs, you as the holder (in your own wallet), and applications as the verifiers. In the month or so following, we’ll add other token support to your wallet. Agents are already built-in and will be more and more exposed over the coming months, registries we’ll work on later since they’re not the most critical functionality at the moment, and NFID governance is inevitable.

4 Likes

I can’t upload images here, can you check your discord DM?

Thank you for your reply and clarifications. I will follow with great interest the evolution of this topic within the dfinity ecosystem.

FTR @Boobazinger and I debugged this offline, which we were able to pinpoint to a change deployed recently, which @frederikrothenberger kindly fixed.

Everything should work now, please ping if there are any other issues!

2 Likes

Team, we are getting ready for tomorrow’s technical working group meeting. Any topics you would like to dicuss? Please add to agenda, thank you!
@dostro @brutoshi @frederikrothenberger

Team, we are getting ready for next week’s meeting - on August 2, 2022. Any agenda items you would like to add - topics you would like to discuss ? FYI @dostro @brutoshi

Agenda: Working Group Notes: Identity and Authentication - Google Docs

Team, we are getting ready for next week’s meeting - on September 6, 2022. Any agenda items you would like to add - topics you would like to discuss ? FYI @dostro @brutoshi

We, with Michel Abdalla, will be reviewing the technical implementation of NFID’s zero-knowledge phone verification proof as a way to generalize identity attributes in Internet Identity

2 Likes

Team, we are getting ready for next week’s meeting - on October 4, 2022. Any agenda items you would like to add - topics you would like to discuss ? FYI @dostro @brutoshi

Team, we are getting ready for next week’s meeting - on November 1, 2022. Any agenda items you would like to add - topics you would like to discuss ? FYI @dostro @brutoshi

1 Like

This may be a silly question, but I’m curious. Is Internet Identity FIDO2 compliant? I’ve searched this forum and the wiki for “FIDO2" and “FIDO2 authentication servers” and found no mention of it.

1 Like

Hi @hokosugi

Yes, Internet Identity uses WebAuthn, which is part of the FIDO2 specifications.

1 Like

Thank you. If so, what would be the FIDO2 authentication server in IC? This is Line’s FIDO server. And is it certified by FIDO Alliance?

1 Like

So Internet Identity is a FIDO2 server. However it is not the FIDO2 authentication server of the IC as anyone can run their own instance or implement their own. The IC does not require users to use FIDO / WebAuthn.

And no, Internet Identity is currently not certified.

1 Like

Thank you! I know very well.
Additional question: Is there any difference between Internet Identity and the “PassKeys” developed by Apple, Google and Microsoft? If so, what are the differences and what are the advantages and disadvantages for II and NFID?

3 Likes