Technical Working Group: Governance

Governance Technical Working Group

Introducing the Governance Technical Working Group.

TLDR

Initial Intent

The initial intent of this working group is to create a formal space to discuss and specify proposals for enhancing the NNS governance system. The working group itself will choose its own focus and scope within that broader intent.

Leadership

The working group will be coordinated by @emmaperetti and will initially be led by three individuals representing different groups of time zones:

This is just the initial leadership, the working group can discuss changes in leadership (e.g. rolling changes per quarter).

Voting, Publishing, and Discussing

We’re going to experiment with using GitHub as a place for us to govern the working group itself. Here is the repository. The will of the working group will be represented by documents in the working group, and consensus will be formed with GitHub issues and reactions.

More informal discussions can take place in the dedicated Discord or in the forum.

First Meeting

Our first meeting will be held on September 29 at 3pm UTC (see the calendar). The purpose of the first meeting will be to decide the focus of the working group and possibly begin to discuss concrete improvements to the NNS and their importance.

You can make proposals for the focus and scope of the group in this GitHub issue. Please come to the first meeting prepared with a GitHub account. Though we are using GitHub, we expect this group to be less technical in nature than the other working groups.

32 Likes

Thank you @lastmjs @bjoernek @brutoshi .

I have posted my thoughts on potential scope of the group on Github as proposed: What should be the focus and scope of the Governance Technical Working Group? · Issue #1 · dfinity/wg-governance · GitHub

2 Likes

It is urgent a WG for tokenomics

Fwiw, I agree with you, I know many others do too. Stay tuned.

1 Like

Thanks Diego we appreciate it

1 Like

May I ask what exactly DFINITY intends to do with 49% dead neurons will forever follow the DFINITY vote?

1 Like

A neuron (like DFINITY’s) has no ability to change do anything to its followers. Only the followers can change this.

You did not ask, but I think periodic confirmation of relationships is healthy and in scope for the working group to discuss.

Side note: I am not quite sure how you define a “dead neuron” nor how 49% was derived, but I believe i answered the main intent to your question.

2 Likes

I have added a new proposed property to what an ideal NNS could look like based on discussion we had at the first GWG: What should be the focus and scope of the Governance Technical Working Group? · Issue #1 · dfinity/wg-governance · GitHub

2 Likes

Was the meeting recorded ?

find here recording from Septeber 29: Passcode Required - Zoom
Passcode: %.&FX4Y%

@lastmjs FYI

4 Likes

Would you please continue recording these, and posting links for newer users looking to be involved/ stay up to date from a distance?

3 Likes

As agreed in our last meeting, just scheduled our next meeting on October 6, 7am CEST.

Join Zoom Meeting
https://dfinity.zoom.us/j/94502546279?pwd=QnI1cWgwL2l1WFQxVHh0RnlCbGRYZz09

Meeting ID: 945 0254 6279
Passcode: 390741

Invite can be found in the technical working group calendar: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/u/0?cid=Y19jazBncjc5YmtnY29vaWNuMXA4N21vMWVyb0Bncm91cC5jYWxlbmRhci5nb29nbGUuY29t

5 Likes

recording of October 6 can be found here:

Passcode: ^TX278F%

2 Likes

Next meeting will happen on October 13, 4pm CEST.

Join Zoom Meeting
https://dfinity.zoom.us/j/94231838455?pwd=SXZEdUlmaHR1S0J5b05sZ2dJVnNBQT09

Meeting ID: 942 3183 8455
Passcode: 612180

Invite can be found in the technical working group calendar: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/u/0?cid=Y19jazBncjc5YmtnY29vaWNuMXA4N21vMWVyb0Bncm91cC5jYWxlbmRhci5nb29nbGUuY29t

3 Likes

Notes on the second session and a survey requesting input on addressable issues and a mission statement:

3 Likes

Anyone interested in participating in the working group should fill out this survey.

I filled it out specifying a lot of actual NNS issues that can be discussed, rather than the meta level of the first two meetings where most of what was discussed was the working group itself. Hopefully we can move past that soon.

8 Likes

I’m not going to be able to attend the next meeting and I don’t have more time to give the GWG this week so I’ve summarised the available information and processed it into a candidate mission statement and list of work items for the group to consider. Given there was a focus on the working group scope I tried to produce a scope document but it wasn’t possible in light of the diversity of responses. The mission statement could use defending but it is only intended as a place to start and mission statements always get changed.

The content of the mission statement & work items doc is based on summaries of primary resources for the purpose of brevity and relevance so some stuff was lost in the compression. Also, nothing posted on the Github and no survey submissions after today, or from the Chinese community were included.

For the next meeting I propose the following resolutions:

1. All future meetings have an agenda and designated note-taking-person
  2. GWG participants break into groups based on work items and return at the next meeting with a scope and research plan for the work item they’ve chosen.
  3. One group gather feedback from the GWG on the candidate mission statement & work items, summarise the responses not included in the documents below, and produce a new candidate mission statement and list of work items.

ICGWG Mission Statement & Work Items

Mission Statement
To facilitate the ability of the Internet Computer governance system to represent the interests of
the Internet Computer Community by providing advice to the community and the DFINITY
Foundation

Work Items

1. Tokenomics
    a. Reward weighting
    b. Defining tokenomics goals
  2. NNS Function
    a. Stakeholder participation outside of neurons
    b. User Interface
    c. Incentive development
    d. Follow relationship expiry
    e. New NNS topics
    f. NNS Mechanism design
  3. Community Funding
  4. Research
    a. Mapping the governance system
    b. Economics of IC governance
    c. Decentralisation assessment
    d. Governance & tokenomics goals
    e. Legal analysis
    f. Observe and measure the interaction between the NNS and the community
    g. Gather information on community pain points
  5. Outward-Facing
    a. Investor Relations
    b. Investor Education
    c. Known neuron engagement
    d. Community engagement & participation encouragement
    e. Proposal status communication
    f. Establishing an upward feedback channel to DFINITY
    g. Facilitating the implementation of community-driven proposals
    h. Expert engagement
    i. A website to explain what is going on with the NNS to normal people
  6. Administration
    a. Overseeing other working groups
    b. Addressing issues of unimplemented proposals
    c. Governance roadmap item prioritisation
    d. Content moderation
  7. Advising
    a. Technology
    b. Marketing
    c. BizDev
    d. Ecosystem growth
  8. Philosophy & Terminology
    a. Ethics
    b. Definitions ie. community, decentralisation
    c. Methodology
  9. Process (Work item not present in attached research)
    a. How should this group operate and what procedures should be followed?

R5_Evidence_Item_5_GovernanceWG_Survey_2022_10_11
R6_Evidence_Item_6_GovernanceWG_Github_Issue_#1_2022_10_11

Reference link for this document

12 Likes

On Oct 10, a Governance Working Group community discussion was held for the Chinese community members.

Up to 36 people attended the zoom call for a 2 hours of spirited discussion. Here is the recap (in English) of the meeting:

7 Likes

Recording from today’s meeting (October 13) can be found here: Passcode Required - Zoom
Passcode: Tr2=s.x8

3 Likes

Thank you! It’s really great to hear what the Chinese community are thinking about and how we can all work together on governance.

1 Like