Subnet Management - uzr34 (II)

Hi @MalithHatananchchige @Lorimer thanks for this discussion and allow me to join in as well. Agree that the wiki documentation can be improved on this, but indeed the common approach for node maintenance (and I think that is usually agreed in the Element channel as well) is to

1. swap the node that needs to be upgraded (or nodes that are unhealthy or dead and require and upgrade) for another node that is healthy.
  2. now that the node to be upgraded is “not active in a subnet”, to remove that node from the IC so it can be upgraded.

The reason is that removing an active node from a subnet would reduce that subnet size to 12 (for a 13 node subnet) and 33 (for a 34 node subnet) which we want to avoid as this effectively creates a subnet with fewer nodes and this would reduce the thresholds on the subnet.

I also agree that before submitting a proposal it would be good to announce it on the forum, so that it can be discussed and will avoid unncessary rejects on the proposal and the loss of ICP of course due to that.

@MalithHatananchchige for the above reason the Foundation will reject proposal 131977 and proposal 132102. Can I suggest you to align with me and @sat on the Element channel so we can help with submitting the node swap proposals first? After these proposals are adopted, you can then proceed with remove the nodes from the IC to upgrade the network config.

4 Likes