[Soft Launch] Improved IC Staking Documentation and Experience

Anti-Update for those curious:

No word yet on ledger nano for staking. I wanted to actively tell people that to at least let folks know what we know.

I am working on improving the docs this weekend.

4 Likes

any update for seed people?

Sorry for my vague writing, I guess my earlier update was not clear:

• I still believe that Ledger integration will be the easiest way for seed round folks to interact
  • ICP <> Ledger nano integration is not officially supported yet by Ledger (that is why I gave a reverse update on Ledger since so many folks are waiting on it)
2 Likes

Ledger experimental mode?

When can we expect steps for seed people to be able to follow?

ICP is supported in Ledger’s developer mode. Not its official mode. That is why I hesitate to promote it.

When ICP is officially supported with Ledger (a date out of my control but I am trying to let Ledger folks know how important this is to the ICP community), then I will feel more comfortable posting ledger instructions.

2 Likes

@oldseed fwiw, I know some folks see the seed round experience as hairy, so definitely know that this is one reason I started this project.

1 Like

After entering Ledger’s experimental mode, I can’t search for “dfinity” or “ic” related app

Try searching for “Internet Computer” or just “Internet”, it should show up.

1 Like

Hey folks,

Here is an end of week update:

• Spent very little updating the actual docs
  • Team spent more time reaching out &communicating with Ledger team, as I think that is the bigger bang for our buck as it would help seed round folks as well lots of new stakers in a consumer-friendly way. Nothing to report yet, but I am optimistic and have great respect for their team. Alas many times, just constant communication with external parties is more important to my job than actual coding or writing.

Is there any real deadline for claiming seed ICP tokens?
Some people are waiting for proper Ledger support etc.
Just making sure, thank you for clarification.

See here for the latest on this topic: In Progress: NNS Proposal To End The Imminent Unclaimed Seed Neuron Sweep | by Dominic Williams | The Internet Computer Review | Nov, 2021 | Medium

I will quote @CashBowie (VP of Comms at DFINITY) who put it pretty well here: Seed Round Access - #422 by CashBowie

Your seed phrase will still be valid… If ideal [for you], you can still wait to claim your voting neurons/governance tokens.

eff me. so i need to get a computer science degree and figure out how to claim my ICP now before they get swept away? i invested in this project almost 5 years ago, and it’s impossible to claim my tokens. dfinity needs to make this easy for people before sweeping them away.

No, to quote @CashBowie (VP of Comms at Dfinity), your seed phrase will still be valid.

The Ledger Nano integration is coming soon (and it already is in developer mode).

2 Likes

I see version 1.0.2 there in developer mode.

Are there instructions on how to use it for seed access?

Not yet because it is not “officially released” yet. Let me ask the team if it makes sense to release while still in developer mode.

1 Like

Relevant update: Seed Round Access - #455 by timo

1 Like

Relevant update on Ledger: I cannot give exact dates, but we are on track for ICP support before the end of the year as we are at the very last stage with Ledger (and a fairly trivial step at that).

2 Likes

Update: Ledger Nano is live folks. :clinking_glasses:

2 Likes

Just a reminder: Seed Round Access - #455 by timo

1 Like