Proposal to Enable Manual Voting Throughout the Entire Voting Period of Governance Proposals

Interesting idea @wpb! I definitely agree with your intent that voters should always be able to make up their own mind, even if they follow somebody.

So in your idea, a proposal that reaches > 50% projected voting result (but < 50% current voting result) would not execute by absolute majority yet, right? Do you think that’s an important feature of your proposal?

I ask because I’m thinking about potentially easier ways to achieve your intent, simply because there is so much work to do :slight_smile:. One thing that comes to mind is that we could let voters always change their vote (as long as the vote isnt decided yet), possibly even for all proposal types. Then if I’m following someone that voted yes on a proposal that I actually want to vote no on, i can just change my vote manually, assuming the proposal is still open. But in this approach, proposals that reach >50% including follower votes would immediately be adopted. Wdyt?

If this proposal passes, then the desired outcome would be for Dfinity to develop the required code changes and put them forward for NNS approval within 1 month

This of course fully depends on what the proposal actually proposes. For more ambitious proposals this would be completely impossible, but i still think we should allow such proposals. Or if there is one month in which the community comes up with many great proposals that all get adopted, it will be very difficult to get all of that done the next month, but we should still vote in all those great ideas. So overall I’m not entirely sure committing to a timeline is helpful.

3 Likes