• Discussion (10/25/2021) ← We are here
  • Ratification
  • Open for application
  • Assigned
  • In Review
  • Closed

Bounty Details

• Current Bounty Amount: 20 ICP
  • ICDevs.org Match Available: 20 ICP - (For every ICP sent to 9f65a13064f16d444af9975ee1bca01eded559d6f753b58a43cfeb8a9617436d, ICDevs.org will add one more ICP to the bounty, up to 20 ICP, After 20 ICP, Donations to the above address will add .25 ICP to this issue and .75 ICP to fund other ICDevs.org initiatives)
  • Time Left: Expires 12/31/2022
  • Project Type: Single Contributor
  • Opened: 10/18/2021
  • Time Commitment: Days
  • Project Type: Traditional
  • Experience Type: Beginner
  • Issue Type: Education

Description

This bounty gives the opportunity to

• write some basic IC tutorials
  • understand how to deploy a static site on the IC using Fleek
  • get to know google codelab
  • help onboard thousands of developers onto the IC

ICDevs would like help setting up our tutorials site and seeding it with an initial set of tutorials for developing on the IC.

We will use google codelabs(https://codelabs.developers.google.com/) to create a site that will live at https://tutorials.icdebs.org. Code labs is a tool that lets you easily author and publish tutorials. You can begin to author them in google docs and then output the results to markdown. Ultimately you’ll need to publish your markdown versions as the canonical versions. You will be free to start with markdown if you don’t want to use google docs. Here is a tutorial on how to build a tutorial using code lab(Publish Technical Tutorials in Google Codelab Format | by Zarin Lokhandwala | Medium)

This site will use Austin Griffith’s Speed Run Ethereum article as a guide for what we want the first 1.0 version of this site to contain(🏃‍♀️Ethereum Dev Speed Run. 🙇 a web3 quick start for developers | by Austin Thomas Griffith | Medium). Obviously, at this point, we don’t have anything as robust as scaffold.eth to piggyback off of, but hopefully we can use a combination of the motoko playground(https://m7sm4-2iaaa-aaaab-qabra-cai.raw.ic0.app/) and other resources to get people started.

Ultimately this repository will be an open repo where any community member can build a tutorial for something they think is important to communicate to developers trying to level up their IC development skills.

To claim this bounty you will need to do the following:

• seed the repo at GitHub - icdevs/ic_devs_org_tutorials: This repo contains the tutorials developed by/for ICDevs.org. with a google code labs site
  • document in the readme.md how to set up the site for further development by future devs
  • The following tutorials should be seeded with robust, easy to understand, instructional content
    • Getting to know the motoko playground
    • Primitive Data Types in motoko
    • Understanding Types
    • Understanding null, variants, and the switch statement
    • The basics of Actors and Actor Classes
    • Managing upgrades and the difference between shared and non-shared Types
    • Sending and Receiving Cycles
    • Intercanister communication
    • Creating a simple Token
    • Serving a simple nft from http

Some of this content may already exist. You are free to reach out to those authors and ask if you can reproduce their content in this repo. Please credit and link to them and the original content if and only if you receive permission.

Finally, the site will need to be deployable via Fleek. See the documentation on their website here: Site Deployment - Documentation. Using code lab you should be able to generate the static html locally and check that into the repo. We can work with Fleek to figure this out, but ideally fleek won’t be needing to run any build scripts and can just deploy the source files.

FAQ:

Will you host rust tutorials - Absolutely. We’re starting with motoko, but as soon as the site is up we’d love contributions from rust devs. With enough demand we’ll look at an additional rust bounty, but that will depend on funding. We will keep funding tutorials as long as we have the resources, but ideally we’d love some passionate programmers with a teacher’s soul to start producing these for the good of the community.

Will you give authors credit - Absolutely. Our goal will be to feature, link to, and drive attention to any authors that contribute to this repository.

Will you ever sell this content - This content will be completely free and open-sourced on github and tutorials.icdevs.org. If we come up with a creative way to fundraise off the back of it in some other medium we may do so, but all proceeds will go straight back into ICDevs.org.

To apply for this bounty you should:

• Include links to previous work writing tutorials and any other open source contributions(ie. your github).
  • Include a brief overview of how you will complete the task. This can include things like which dependencies you will use, how you will make it self-contained, the sacrifices you would have to make to achieve that, or how you will make it simple. Anything that can convince us you are taking a thoughtful and expert approach to this design.
  • Give an estimated timeline on completing the task.
  • Post your application text to the Bounty Thread

Selection Process

The ICDevs.org developer’s advisors will propose a vote to award the bounty and the Developer Advisors will vote.

Bounty Completion

Please keep your ongoing code in a public repository(fork or branch is ok). Please provide regular (at least weekly) updates. Code commits count as updates if you link to your branch/fork from the bounty thread. We just need to be able to see that you are making progress.

This bounty will have a progressive payout according to the following schedule:

5 ICP - Empty google code labs site crated, instructions for other devs running locally, and fleek hosting.
Each one of the 10 listed tutorials: 2 ICP
Completion: 5 ICP.

If the community matches we’ll adjust accordingly and up the reward for each tutorial by up to 2 ICP each, starting with the last tutorial and working back to 1.

The balance will be paid out at completion.

If you are awarded this bounty and would like to hand out the tutorials to other contributors, please communicate your intentions with ICDevs. You will be responsible for assuring quality and signing off on sending payments to other contributors.

Once you have finished, please alert the dev forum thread that you have completed work and where we can find that work. We will review and award the bounty reward if the terms have been met. If there is any coordination work(like a pull request) or additional documentation needed we will inform you of what is needed before we can award the reward.

Bounty Abandonment and Re-awarding

If you cease work on the bounty for a prolonged(at the Developer Advisory Board’s discretion) or if the quality of work degrades to the point that we think someone else should be working on the bounty we may re-award it. We will be transparent about this and try to work with you to push through and complete the project, but sometimes, it may be necessary to move on or to augment your contribution with another resource which would result in a split bounty.

Funding

The bounty was generously funded by the community. If you would like to turbocharge this bounty you can seed additional donations of ICP to 9f65a13064f16d444af9975ee1bca01eded559d6f753b58a43cfeb8a9617436d. ICDevs will match the bounty 1:1 for the first 20 ICP and then 0.25:1 after that. All donations will be tax deductible for US Citizens and Corporations. If you send a donation and need a donation receipt, please email the hash of your donation transaction, physical address, and name to donations@icdevs.org. More information about how you can contribute can be found at our donations page.

General Bounty Process

Discussion

The draft bounty is posted to the DFINITY developer’s forum for discussion

Ratification

The developer advisor’s board will propose a bounty be ratified and a vote will take place to ratify the bounty. Until a bounty is ratified by the Dev it hasn’t been officially adopted. Please take this into consideration if you are considering starting early.

Open for application

Developers can submit applications to the Dev Forum post. The council will consider these as they come in and propose a vote to award the bounty to one of the applicants. If you would like to apply anonymously you can send an email to austin at icdevs dot org or sending a PM on the dev forum.

Assigned

A developer is currently working on this bounty, you are free to contribute, but any splitting of the award will need to be discussed with the currently assigned developer.

In Review

The Dev Council is reviewing the submission

Awarded

The award has be been given and the bounty is closed.

Matches

We are waiting on our first community match.

Other ICDevs.org Bounties

8 Likes

Great opportunity, as a part time French/Music teacher I agree that these resources are heavily needed!
Kyle and Seb(MotokoSchool) have already done some great work but a lot more needs to be done for overall ease of access.
Currently busy with the Encode hackathon but if further down the line it’s still an open bounty, I’ll gladly take it up. I enjoy making educational content of all sorts but there are way better Motoko devs out there currently than myself. We will see how things evolve but I’ll keep a watchful eye :eyes:

3 Likes

This bounty has been Authorized and is now in the Open for Application status. We’d love for someone to run with this. Please reach out if you have questions. We can adapt and mold this to the right situation.

Hi, I‘m happy if I can help.

Awesome…Ill send you a dm and we can talk more.

I see this is in Assigned status. Did you receive this bounty nomination? How far along are you?

We need to move things along a bit now that thanksgiving is over. A couple people are working on this. I think we may end up using Retype instead of the google labs stuff. I’ll give an update this week. Interested in writing some tutorials?

1 Like

I am, actually. But I’m strapped for time. I was more looking to see if someone was already on it, so I could go through the content.

@ferMartz Got the basic site up: https://tutorials.icdevs.org/

You can contribute (How To Contribute) tutorials at GitHub - icdevs/ic_devs_org_tutorials: This repo contains the tutorials developed by/for ICDevs.org.

Hello, I’ve sent mail to admin@icdevs.org but got no replies, so I’m writing this here.

The developer hasn’t posted any new commits on the repository for over a month now. If the already assigned developer has abandoned the bounty, I am willing to participate and takeover the bounty.

@ferMartz and @rbole are you all ok with @efe taking a stab at completing some tutorial?

1 Like

Not a problem at all.

1 Like

Sure I will give him a very warm welcome.

I’m not sure if you noticed, below is my tutorial about Angular meets IC.

1 Like

Thank you :eyes:
I haven’t noticed that repo, since it’s not pushed to the main repo. Thank you for your contributions!

Ok…we’re going to let @efe take a swing at this. We look forward to your work!

1 Like

This bounty has been reassigned to forum user @lukevoz . Good luck! Congrats on placing in the motoko BootCamp!

Thank you @skilesare! Gonna start working on it in 2 weeks when I come from holiday.

Hi guys, I made a progress in this and wrote first two pieces. Would like to share this and get some feedback before I finish the others.

Here are links, I forked the repo and deployed it on my Fleek temporarily:

I believe experienced devs are self-sufficient reading the docs, so I tried to write this with simple easy language for less experienced devs not long and boring. If you have different expectations or you would change something (ignore typos for now), please let me know. :slight_smile:

cc @skilesare

2 Likes

These look fantastic!

1 Like

Any more updates? Could you push to the repo(or send a pull request)