NNS dapp towards new UI & UX (including test link)

Will you have a message that the followed delegate neuron have been deselected.
I believe this happens every 6 months by the NNS?

ImagineChadParadigm

21h

Hello ICP community. Long time forum lurker.

Though I appreciate the communities’ intentions of garnering additional stakers to join the NNS, I’m afraid such a proposal is merely a band-aid solution for a more fundamentally driven one. Let me explain.

Let us fancy this matter from an outsider view. Pretend you are a newcomer to the ICP space. You are intrigued by the disruptive technology being built on the ICP platform. You are a bit frightened by the price history of the token, but for some reason, an insatiable urge to learn the technology drives you to consume the red pill. You have a general understanding of other blockchains; however, you are convinced $ICP is quite literally the future. You quickly hit the market buy option on your favorite exchange and are now faced with the dilemma – How can I earn rewards and participate in the DAO?

Let’s dive in. First one must create an “internet identity anchor” before having to log-in to the “Network Nervous System.” After said completion, you are left clicking the tabulated links on the top and eventually stumble on the word “cannister.” Eventually, after clicking around and searching various web2 sites (Tisk tisk…), you deduce this is the appropriate option to stake your ICP. Upon staking you need to determine your dissolve delay, and are further bombarded with things like “Increase Neuron Stake”, “Split Neuron”, etc. Do you see the problem?

If we as a community intend to drive user adoption of the NNS for staking, we need to put ourselves into the shoes of our common crypto-peers. Needlessly verbose terminology is such a huge turn off for newcomers. What appears to be the intent of creating a cult-like mantra around the use of novel words and nifty idioms is exactly what turns people off from wanting to participate. Perhaps as important - participants must think to drive their decision-making process. Think of every other user-friendly stake platform. You login, find the stake button, and then bam – rewards expressed as a percentage depending on your stake term.

We need an NNS that is so user intuitive, it’s a simple as logging into your favorite social media platform. Simply login, “Stake”, and set your term. When you are ready, you can “Unstake” or “rake your steak rewards.” (Folly, but an option. 8 Year gang baby!)

If you think this is ICP fud and crypto babble, I truly apologize. I’m totally engrossed with the technology Dfinity has built with ICP, and truly believe this has a chance to transform the internet as we know. However, we as a community must stop trying to create robust mathematical proofs to drive user adoption. Perhaps a greater emphasis on ease-of-use would solve that very problem instead.

2 Likes

There is only so much you can do with ui before it loses ux simplicity. UX simplicity should be the primary design goal. How would you eliminate the generic look, different button colors and background colors?

This is a test instance of the NNS dapp, tied together with a test instance of Internet Identity as well (note that the URL is not https://identity.ic0.app). So your usual Idenitty Anchor will not work and you have to register a new one (just for this test environment).

FYI above test link is not active anymore as we had to redeploy our test canisters. Feedback were positive so we moved on and proposed today an updated version of NNS dapp that introduces the “light” and (revisited) “dark” themes :smiley:

:point_right: NNS dapp new light and dark themes 🌗

1 Like

Not sure whose resposability it is, but it would be nice if the service worker UI were improved a bit, for newcomers it gives a bad vibe combined to the weird URLs, since it’s there to stay for a long time it’d be nice if it didn’t look like something out of the early 2000s

You mean the service worker on the ic generally speaking right - i.e. nothing directly related to nns-dapp? If so yes, without knowing all the details, I think various tasks are on going or plan to improve the experience with the service worker. From a bit faraway, I keep an eye on the subject too :wink:.

It’d also be nice if in the voting tab the Filter’s options were saved between sessions and there were a “clear/select all” button.

That’s a good idea :+1:. When we were discussing the UI recently, we began to discuss a bit such things as “user preferences.” Our UX expert also have a couple of ideas. No concrete plan yet but next times the subject pops-up, will share your idea.

Note: we are really precautionary about data to keep between session, the selected “light or dark theme” info is the first ever and so far only info that is kept between session and we do so by first clearing (code) the all storage to be sure everything is cleared on signout.

Hey Guys,

Three suggestions for the NNS dApp:

1. Currently when we add a hardware wallet as a hotkey we have the option of naming the hardware wallet. However, it is not possible to change that name without removing the hotkey and re-adding it. Could you please allow a feature that allows one to change the name?

2. It would also be helpful to create a nickname for neurons. Do you think this could be possible?

3. Currently there is no way to add a whitelisted external address. Whenever I want to send funds from my account in the NNS dApp I have to copy and paste the external address and hold my breath. Being able to add a whitelisted address with the hardware wallet would be super useful.

Thanks,
David

Hi David,

As far as I remember it is not possible - i.e. it’s a limitation of the hardware wallet. I’ll forward your msg to the team of course.

Thanks for the idea. It has been reported one or twice already, so I can confirm we are aware of the feature request. Being said, it is a more tricky question that it looks, both technically and UX wise.

Spontaneous idea, is it better to have a whitelist - that is used each time a transaction is made to check that the entered address is correct - or to have an address book of external addresses feature? e.g. being able to select an address in a list of external address I as a user have built (so no typing). What do you think?

1 Like

I think having an address book is a fantastic idea. I would just caution that there should be some optional security measures in place which gets at the “whitelisting” idea. For example, one needs to use the hardware wallet to add, remove, or edit external addresses. I could see someone adding an external address and then a hacker gets access to internet identity, changes the external address, and so even if you use a hardware wallet to store funds you can accidentally send your funds to a hacker if the external address has been tampered with. Most exchanges ping you with an email if a wallet in your whitelisted address book has been added or has been edited or there’s a 24 hour period during which you cannot transfer funds after a wallet has been added / edited. Its a nice security feature.

1 Like

Gotcha. Thanks for the details. I have forwarded your three feature requests / suggestions to the team.

1 Like

Kraken has the very best and smart security feature I have seen.

1- You can lock your account for all transfer and wallet activities with a delay (let say 30 days but you can set up less)
2- You setup an immediate unlock device (Yubikey)
3- lock your account.

If someone have access to your account, there is nothing they can do inside. They can unlock operations but would have to wait 30 days to do anything. You receive an email if they do unlock.

When you need to do an operation:

1- You use your immediate device to unlock operations
2- If you donˋt have your device, or have lost it. You can still unlock with a 30 days waiting period.
3- You receive an email or sms when unlocking operations.

I hope the NNS security will be improved with ingenious strategies.

1 Like

NNS dapp team,

NNS dapp is looking fresh apart from one thing. I strongly feel the multi-colored banner at the top is very tacky and doesn’t make me feel safe. Can you imagine JP Morgan displaying a multi-colored rainbow next to its bank account balance? No cos it feels unprofessional. Please reconsider that one thing.

1 Like

As mentionned in one of my recent post we are working on a brand new design. If you check NNS-dapp and lib repo you might even found wip PRs.

3 Likes