Megathread: Community Submissions for DFINITY Foundation’s Roadmap

What are we doing about SEO? Sites within the IC will want to be findable by the old internet. Can we return the raw files to bots and allow them to read them normally at the boundary level?

For example: User A wants to make a cool newsletter site using ICME but notices it never appears on Google Search. Even if he puts in an extremely specific exact search. His newsletter is unnoticed by the general population. He may consider putting it back into the old web just to get the normal SEO.

I propose this be a high target item on the roadmap. Not as just dev. But as someone who understands real world problems that big tech is eating up. Um, um. :stew:

2 Likes

That seems to be in the control of the individuals and services providing those web pages rather than the network itself.

A proposal to dig deeper into our strategy to increase our decentralized fleet size.

2 Likes

I wonder how we could leverage the community to help design and implement software changes to the IC.

On-chain governance in the form of the NNS is unique to the IC, and could help the network evolve much faster than other blockchains. (Look how long it’s taking for ETH 2.0.)

I’d bet there are quite a few of us who would be willing to help actually write the Rust code to add features to the IC. Being bottlenecked by the DFINITY Foundation on all of these large-scale changes doesn’t seem to be sustainable (or fast enough) in the long term. If we have a more formalized reward system and proposal review process for decentralized source code contributions, I think this could be a huge advantage for the IC.

3 Likes

Well, as you know, in one of my proposals I did actually write the code to implement the proposed change.

I agree that there may be a bottleneck with waiting on the DFINITY foundation to implement features that are voted upon. However, in this situation I think the bottleneck is not in the implementation, so I also agree that an improved process around proposing changes is needed.

1 Like

Is it really unique? I understand that Tezos has had on-chain governance, including changing the core protocol and code in an on-chain governance-driven way, long before the IC existed?

But yes, a discussion on how the design and development can be actually community-owned is very welcome IMHO :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One easy first step could be to allow pull requests here: https://github.com/dfinity/ic

2 Likes

A good next target seems to be open sourcing all code with each repository accepting pull requests from DFINITY and the community. If we can get to that point we’ll be in a good position to allow individuals, companies, DAOs, etc to start contributing.

1 Like

Having a tighter link between pull requests and NNS proposals would be nice too.

For example, a PR can’t be merged until its associated proposal is voted on and approved.

4 Likes

The canister needs more detailed permission control. For example, the controller can upgrade the code and view the canister status; the observer cannot upgrade the code, but can only view the canister status.

Use a canister to manage the canisters of different users, just to get the status of these canisters, you need this function.

3 Likes

I agree with you. This will be key for not just SNS but just in having canisters updated by multiple devs.

1 Like