Long Term R&D: Tokenomics (proposal)

I wanted to follow up that the feature for giving neurons a name and optional description is already deployed in the governance canister and will be soon deployed in the nns frontend dapp.

This feature will allow neuron holders to identify themselves in a human-readable way so both voting and analysis will be easier.

NNS Engineer Alejandro Alvarez is the main implementor and can answer questions on it or take feedback. (I will update this comment with his username once I know it :wink: )

@Kyle_Langham I think this will be a good step towards what you were thinking.

6 Likes

Ohhh, I love this and it will certainly help with performing data analyses on the NNS, particularly if NNS participants self-name their neurons in a community-meaningful way.

In terms of my ID indexing request above, I don’t think this gets us closer. It helps me/us identify a specific neuron, but (unless I’m misunderstanding) won’t help us identify the existence (and metadata) of all neurons. Still, this is an exciting feature… good work to Mr. Alvarez and the dfinity team!

2 Likes

Update: Alejandro Alvarez from NNS team has dev forum username @alejandrodfinity1 .

Welcome @alejandrodfinity1 !

2 Likes

What is the DFX command that needs to be used to submit a KnownNeuron proposal? In the Community Conversation today for NNS Proposals and Voting, it was communicated that ICP Maximalist Network and cycle_dao will need to submit a KnownNeuron proposal even though proposals 38982 and 38983 have already passed. I’d like to get them submitted and would appreciate help with exact syntax.

Also, how and when will we learn more about how proposal 38985 (regarding manual voting) will be integrated into the tokenomics roadmap?

@diegop @jwiegley @dralves @alejandrodfinity1

Thanks!

2 Likes

Great question. I do not know myself. I honestly doubt there is a DFX command pre-built but I will check.

Pro-tip:

Fwiw, I typically explore features on Governance canister by sending messages via dfx to the governance canister candid interface: DFINITY Canister Candid UI

I see a few methods which have knownNeuron atrribute, particularly manage_neuron.

(yes I am aware that is not a great user-friendly answer, but wanted to be helpful)

1 Like

@wpb this will all be clearly documented shortly, but looking in the bash history for the command I found this:

dfx canister --no-wallet --network <network> call rrkah-fqaaa-aaaaa-aaaaq-cai manage_neuron "( record { id = opt record { id = <my neuron id>: nat64}; command = opt variant { MakeProposal = record { url = \"\"; summary = \"<proposal summary>\"; action = opt variant {RegisterKnownNeuron = record {id = opt record { id = <known neuron id>: nat64}; known_neuron_data = opt record {name = \"<known neuron name>\"; description = \"<known neuron description>\"}}}}}})"

@alejandrodfinity1 could you test the above command on a testnet to make sure it works?

2 Likes

Another option for exploring the Governance canister here if it’s of use to folks:
manage_neuron
Unfold the following typedefs then click ‘filter: unfolded’ and you should be able to follow how the command dralves gave above is constructed: Action, Command, KnownNeuron, ManageNeuron and Proposal.

1 Like

The KnownNeuron proposals have been submitted for ICP Maximailst Network (42010) and for cycledao.xyz (42015). They are live.

However, they are not showing up in the NNS dApp. In fact, no proposals are currently showing up in the NNS dApp including exchange rate. I think something must be down at the moment.

@diegop @dralves who should I contact about this issue?

Thank you. This is being investigated.

You can see the status of the issue here: InternetComputer Status - NNS frontend dapp is not displaying open proposals

1 Like

Hi everybody,

I Alejandro Alvarez from the NNS team, I will be writing shortly a post with more details about Known Neurons.

A short summary of the feature is that it will allow users to name individual neurons and, if they wish, add a short description. Naming a neuron is done through a RegisterKnownNeuron proposal.

it was communicated that ICP Maximalist Network and cycle_dao will need to submit a KnownNeuron proposal even though proposals 38982 and 38983 have already passed

Those proposals are motion proposals, and do not trigger any change when accepted, they are more a declaration of intent. A RegisterKnownNeuron has a different format (must specify a name) and when accepted it triggers the necessary changes.

I’d like to get them submitted and would appreciate help with exact syntax.

@alejandrodfinity1 could you test the above command on a testnet to make sure it works?

It needs a title to work, this command works on the testnet:

dfx --identity proposals canister --no-wallet --network http://\[2a00:fb01:400:42:5000:a1ff:fe68:fc01\]:8080 call rrkah-fqaaa-aaaaa-aaaaq-cai manage_neuron "( record { id = opt record { id = $NEURON_ID: nat64}; command = opt variant { MakeProposal = record { title = \"proposal title\"; url = \"url\"; summary = \"proposal summary\"; action = opt variant {RegisterKnownNeuron = record {id = opt record { id = $NEURON_ID: nat64}; known_neuron_data = opt record {name = \"name\"; description = \"description\"}}}}}})"

I ll add more examples on the post.

4 Likes