Long Term R&D: General Integration (Proposal)

Thank you for the detailed proposal. It is a massive undertaking, and I think the proposal does a good job in summarizing ideas I’ve heard proposed on the forum over the last couple of months.

There are no SDKs yet that would offer the functionality of the Internet Computer to mobile app developers in an easy-to-use manner. This should be addressed as part of this integration proposal.

Can’t +1 this enough. Mobile and web SDKs like Firebase make development much more attractive, not to mention easier. The agent-js library is a great start, but may still be too low-level for some users. As you point out, storing files could be a compelling first use case of a Firebase-like IC client SDK.

Every project is reinventing the wheel on how to chunk and serve blobs from canisters. Ideally, they could just plug into a high-level SDK and just pass it a file path. This will be even more important once storage subnets are available IMO.

The replicas of the IC each need to make the same call and obtain consensus over the result.

I wonder how much of the BTC integration code can be reused for this. How does that code deal with consensus from calls made to the BTC network?

One simpler use case could be push notifications. In this case, the response to an external call is less important than the request. Fire-and-forget use cases like this may be easier to implement as a POC? Not sure. Right now, IC dapps either rely on centralized services for push notifications, or perform expensive polling on the canister. Neither are ideal.

3 Likes