Jordan Last: Blockchain Security DFINITY ETHEREUM

The 10+ year developer and engineer Jordan Last expresses his long-standing opinions and reservations about #DFINITY’s Internet Computer ecosystem, its network security, and its connection to #Ethereum

8 Likes

As someone who built a local and interexchange telecommunications carrier when deregulation happened in the US in 1995 …
It always felt a bit unseemly as to how you could directly access the customer’s data down at what we used to call the carrier hotel. You could just literally turn what looked like a radio dial on an Alcatel digital access cross connect system & view live traffic from my end users. Then as now the weak link in the chain was/is the human being.
Security related instruction code built into CPUs is very cool!
In reference to your articulation of the replication concern ( i.e. nefarious nabobs that can outnumber the replications or collude for other nastiness) those potential ne’er-do-well actors are managed by Skynet/NNS , a protocol driven by ( the best top shelf distilled yet) entropy which is unmanipulable, unstoppable and unpredictable.
So the weak link in the chain is not the human being directly but the analog aggregate of same that is expressed thru NNS. Something I know that the both of you believe is crazy cool.
The governance model that Dom articulated years ago was brought to form and that is why this is not blockchain or a currency … it is a different computing platform. As they extend that computing platform you and I ( and probably everyone on this forum) will end up being node operators on the NNS chain… albeit in a ‘lighter’ form.

3 Likes

Based on the facts represented in this primer, highly supportive, in principle, of proposed network enhancements in combination:

• node shuffling,
  • encrypted enclaves, and
  • sufficiently high levels of replication within each subnet, subject to performance.

Also very supportive of the idea of maintaining high-profile bug bounties.

Thanks so much for sharing, @andrew.

3 Likes

If we boil down the entire conversation to those action items for improving security, I love it

2 Likes

Thanks so much for having taken the time to put these thoughts together, Jordan!

2 Likes

You’re welcome! I can’t help it really

2 Likes