Internet Identity Lack Of Security

I think there is a major misunderstanding here. The II was not meant to be used for holding stake in the amounts that are thrown around here. It is not about having one II or two different ones. You simply don’t use II at all for these kind of amounts.

II is a convenience feature for everyday use. It is not a security feature for long-term storage.

II is and remains a “software wallet” no matter how you use it, even if you use it with a Yubikey and even if your FIDO device is PIN protected. When you connect a FIDO device it is only used once to sign the browser’s session keys. After that all interaction is initiated and signed by the browser alone. Hence II is only as secure as your browser, regardless of how secure your phrase, biometric sensor or Yubikey is. You cannot entrust significant value to this environment.

The only safe ways to hold significant value is with an air-gapped computer and the proper tools such as quill or with a Ledger Nano connected to the NNS dapp as a hardware wallet. In the latter case every single transaction gets confirmed on the hardware wallet’s display and signed inside the hardware wallet. The browser is then untrusted. There is no II at play with the hardware wallet.

Using a hardware wallet is different from using a FIDO device to log into your II. The former is a true hardware solution, the latter is still essentially a software wallet. The two are not to be confused.

I think because of this misunderstanding the discussion is getting derailed. Whales don’t ask if they can have one or two IIs. Whales don’t use II for storing value.

I am not saying that II can’t be improved or that the discussion here doesn’t have value. I am just saying we are getting derailed if we’re discussing using II for long-term/cold/high value staking or storage.

2 Likes