Increased Canister Smart Contract Memory

Well, you could, but then 64 bit wouldn’t help much if you want a maintainable canister. The problem is the need to copy the entire heap to stable memory at every upgrade, which is expensive, and gets more expensive the larger the heap gets. In particular, it is likely to run out of cycles during upgrade long before you even hit the 4G limit. So you’d be stuck with an unupgradable canister.

1 Like

Hi all, I would like to share the team’s current thinking on the topic of increasing canister smart contract memory. This is a topic we know is important to the community and some people have been reaching out asking for the current status.With this update, we want to manage everyone’s expectations around the timeline of further increasing canister smart contract memory.

As we had discussed in our rollout plan when the original proposal had been shared with you, we were going to start with bumping the limit for stable memory to 8GB and keep growing it as the system stabilizes. Based on the experience we have gathered running the production system since then, we have come to the conclusion that further increasing the limit for stable memory now (e.g. up to the subnet memory limit) provides marginal benefits to canisters while it opens up the opportunity for extra risks given some limitations of the current system.

More specifically:

• Increasing the available stable memory of canisters can easily backfire if developers are not careful handling access to their bigger stable memory efficiently. A limit that is quite easy to hit is the instructions limit on canister upgrades (that is if you don’t manually store all data you need directly to stable memory, a task that is not trivial). Some of this will be alleviated by the upcoming DTS feature.

• The stable memory api is still unsatisfactory as it requires copying data to and from wasm heap and can easily become quite expensive cycles-wise if large chunks of memory need to be moved around. Future work includes adding support for wasm64 and multiple memories on the IC and these should greatly help improve the story around handling of stable memory, including improving the performance of stable memory calls. We believe that these are important to do before we further increase the size of stable memory.

We believe that the work outlined above is important to be done before we attempt to further increase the available size of stable memory in order to provide developers with a safe and efficient platform to build on. As usual, we will keep the community posted on the progress of these necessary features, so please stay tuned.

13 Likes

I hate to ask this, but do you have any updates on the timeline for a possible wasm64 and multiple memories implementation?

I’m guessing there will be proposal beforehand, and judging by the fact that there hasn’t been one submitted yet, it seems like it’s still quite a few quarters away.

The uncertainty puts developers (i.e. myself) in somewhat of a bind. For example, I develop in Motoko and am not sure whether I should migrate all of my Motoko stable variables to using the ExperimentalStableMemory library. It’s still marked as experimental.

Any clarity would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2 Likes

Memory-64 and multiple memories are extension proposals for Wasm itself, which have not yet been standardised, although they are already at phase 3 of the Wasm proposal process. AFAIK, wasmtime (the engine used by the replica) already implements them, but it would be risky to start depending on them before their standardisation has been finalised (which would be phase 4). And that process is outside Dfinity’s direct control, it is blocked on other engine vendors implementing the proposals.

4 Likes

The reason Motoko’s ExperimentalStableMemory library is still marked experimental is that we don’t really like it as a long term solution since it is rather low-level, hard to use, expensive and non-modular. A library is free to access it and can thus mess with any other libraries use of stable memory. It’s like a big global variable that everyone in the program has access to and thus goes against the grain of Motoko’s focus on safety.

A better design would be for the main actor to selectively hand out handles to isolated regions of stable memory that libraries could use, but only once given a capability to use them. That would, for example, prevent libraries messing with each others’ stable memory invariants. We don’t, off hand, have a good design for this, especially one that allows individuals regions to grow yet remain contiguous with efficient access.

I would not refrain from taking a dependency on the library if it suits your purpose, just be aware that the API may change some time in the future. That being said, I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

Also, be aware that the cost of accessing stable memory is quite high at the moment: even reads and writes of individual words require allocating space in the Wasm heap to do an expensive, particularly when small, bulk transfer from Wasm memory to stable memory, due to the peculiarities of the current System API.

We have some ideas on how replicas could lower these costs substantially, but at the moment they are just ideas and rely on the above Wasm proposals becoming fully available.

7 Likes

@claudio

Note: for the context of my response I am referring to stable as using the stable keyword and not the ExperimentalStableMemory library)

Does this mean that declaring a stable variable in Motoko, and reading/updating that variable (or record fields within that variable) is much more expensive than keeping that variable unstable, but saving it via preupgrade/post upgrade methods?

For example, are there specific benefits to keeping a variable as unstable, but then persisting that variable to stable memory only during upgrades as opposed to always having that variable be stable?

Let’s say I have a List<Nat> data structure (which is stable). Are there any performance benefits to me initializing this list as an unstable variable (no stable keyword), but then using the system preupgrade/postgrads apis to save it to stable memory only during upgrades, vs. just initializing the List using the stable keyword from the start and keeping it that way (no additional steps needed for upgrades)?

If so, a pro-con list of the two scenarios (variable always stable vs. unstable but write to stable memory via system apis on upgrade) would be nice, along with estimated costs in terms of cycles and performance (i.e. a read heavy vs. write heavy application, or one that might get upgraded frequently, etc.).

2 Likes

At the moment, there is no performance difference between stable and ordinary variables during normal computation. The only difference is that stable variables are serialized and deserialized in bulk on upgrade, while ordinary variables are just discarded.

If we move to an implementation where stable variables are maintained in stable memory throughout their lifetime, rather than just between upgrades, then there may well be a performance tradeoff between the two sorts of variables.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update.

In the meantime, I’m wondering if Motoko has incorporated any changes recently that can help developers use as much of the 4 GB canister memory as possible. For example, I believe the compacting GC was launched a while back, and some other changes may have landed since then.

Do you happen to know how much of the 4 GB we can use with stable variables before running into issues serializing/deserializing during upgrade? If that limit is, say, 3 GB, what would happen if we try upgrading a canister with more than 3 GB worth of stable variables?

These kind of scenarios (almost always involving some sort of canister upgrade) are a bit frightening to think about…

2 Likes

Motoko, by default, currently still uses the copying collector as that conveniently leaves us with half of wasm memory to perform naive serialization of stable variables, but limits us to roughly 2GB of live data. Our current serializer serialize stable variables to wasm memory before copying the blob to stable memory, which is suboptimal.

We are working to replace our current serializer so that it can serialize stable variables directly to stable memory in a streaming fashion, reducing the current 2x space overhead drastically. This should enable us to recommend or even default to the compacting GC. That should make much more than half of wasm memory available for live data.

The replica team is also working on allowing long running messages that span several rounds which should mitigate the current risk of running out of cycles during large GCs and upgrades.

3 Likes

That’s great. So even if we use the compacting GC right now, it won’t be that effective because the streaming stable variable feature hasn’t landed yet. Is that an accurate summary? Do you know if streaming is on the order of months or weeks away?

which should mitigate the current risk of running out of cycles

Do you mean the per-block instruction limit? I wasn’t aware that deterministic time cycles would actually save the user some cycles.

Do you mean the per-block instruction limit? I wasn’t aware that deterministic time cycles would actually save the user some cycles.

No, what Claudio meant is that a message will be able to run across multiple rounds (on each round consuming up to the limit allowed for a single execution), therefore being able to run longer overall and not be limited by the single message limit. In fact, running a long computation will likely cost a bit more in total but the key is you’ll actually be able to do it. More details in the relevant thread.

If you use the compacting GC right now, and the heap has lots of data, then you run the risk of not having enough heap space left to serialize your stable variables to the heap on the way to stable memory.

I think the streaming serialization feature will be out in Motoko in a small number of weeks - the PR is almost ready for review - when it is included in dfx is out of our hands though.

Deterministic Time Slices (running messages for multiple rounds, with higher budgets) is a bigger change so I expect a few months, rather than weeks.

1 Like

Would it be possible to release this document to the community so we can get a better understanding of the vision ?

@jzxchiang

Streaming serialisation of stable variables is now released in moc, please watch the dfx releases (and release notes) about when it will be fully launched. But you can definitely gather experience with it by dropping-in moc into a (sufficiently recent) dfx install.

Update: dfx 0.10.1-beta.1 seems to have it.
Update: dfx 0.10.1 is installable, but not promoted yet
Update: it is now the default! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now, Canister has 8GB stable memory and some low-level system api to use them, such as stable64_xxxx().

The typical way to use stable memory today is to serialize the state in the wasm heap into bytes before upgrading, and then overwrite it into stable memory. After the upgrade, restore to the wasm heap state from stable memory. And because the state in the wasm heap is often serialized as a whole, developers can only use 2GB in the wasm heap even in Rust, (the other 2GB is used to temporarily store serialized copies), and can only use 2GB to stable memory. And I doubt that a 2GB copy can be done within one block time (1s). Moreover, I actually encountered a situation where the canister on the mainnet could not be upgraded, but could be reinstalled, and it was difficult to find the problem.

As far as I know, here some canisters or tools trying to use more stable memory:

1. The Internet Identity. the user anchors’ data is the only state which needs to be persisted, and will grow dynamicly. By determining the maximum space that each user anchor can occupy, it can be determined that the data of the newly added user anchor should be stored in the offset position of the stable memory.

2. StableBTreeMap in Canisters, I tried to use it, but it’s a bit tricky to use when the situation gets complicated.

3. Ic-stable-memory rust library, Good idea, but need to reimplement common data structures such as HashMap, Vec and more.

I think the perfect way to use stable memory is similar to using wasm heap. Wasm heap is also a stack-based linear memory space. We don’t need to consider these low-level interfaces when we use it. Why do we need to implement a memory allocator and memory manager when we use stable memory? This way we can directly use the lots of libraries in std. I’m looking forward to Dfinity’s official implementation of such a tool.

And, when I re-read the whole post, I found that wasm has the concept of multiple memories and stable vars, I think they are what I want, to be able to use stable memory like wasm heap. Unfortunately, it seems that neither of these features will make it into production anytime soon.

1 Like

Increasing Stable Memory to 32 GiB

As part of this effort to give canisters more memory we’re proposing to increase the size of stable memory to 32 GiB in an upcoming release. In addition to benefiting all canister developers, this expansion is a critical part of the Bitcoin integration work.

How to use it

You won’t need to make any changes in how you call the 64-bit stable memory APIs. Calls to stable64_grow will now let you increase stable memory up to 32 GiB. Note that the stable64_size and stable64_grow functions work with Wasm pages which are 64 KiB, so this corresponds to 524,288 Wasm pages.

Limitations

Due to technical limitations of the current implementation, writes to stable memory will be limited to 8 GiB per message. This means that existing canisters will not see any breakage and all canisters will still be able to copy the entire Wasm heap to stable memory in pre-upgrade hooks. But canisters which want to take advantage of the full 32GiB should consider a design where most persistent data is used directly from stable memory. Libraries like ic_stable_structures and ic-stable-memory can help with this.

22 Likes

Are there plans to move the Motoko Stable Memory library out of its experimental status?

6 Likes

I asked the Motoko team and they said there are no immediate plans.

Does anyone know if asset canisters already use stable memory? If so, I assume asset canisters will automatically be able to store up to 32gb once this goes live?

1 Like

No, asset canisters don’t use stable memory currently.

@senior.joinu might be working on one if I remember correctly.

4 Likes