How to fix the spam proposals that NNS is currently encountering

I see - thanks for linking your argument. It seems we just have a fundamental difference of opinion.

If we pass this proposal and reset the followees - the spammer wins.

They are rewarded and receive even more governance rewards in the short term - while less active participants get punished. This goes on until we get back to a similar point that we’re at today, maybe 3 to 4 months down the line when there are more passive retail investors that have “caught on” to the resets. Then another reset is passed.

Fast forward a year and people are now on top of when the resets happen, and reset their followees exactly on “NNS Reset Day”. Immediately after each reset the voters go passive and let the followees to all the work. We haven’t solved spam on the IC, and all spam including malicious links/photos/language are front and center visible to voters. The only thing we’ve done is made voters aware of when the reset day is, and depending on your perspective we stole/transfered governance rewards from less active participants to more active participants (including the spammer) during each reset of this process.

It doesn’t solve the actual problem of spam or non-actionable proposals being submitted to the IC, and rewards the spammer.

I can see how IC Maxi and current active IC participants will support this proposal, but it will turn away new investors who don’t want that type of commitment. No other blockchain that I’m aware of requires this type of active commitment from their investors, so we’d be drawing a firm line separating the IC from other blockchains. I’d imagine this would scare off retail, larger investors, and anyone who doesn’t like to obsess over/check their investments weekly.

I’m thinking about all of my tech, non-tech, and developer friends. Some are investors, some are staked in cryptocurrencies, but none would want to spend this much time thinking about the IC or any other investment/blockchain. @wpb you, I and many others on this forum are in the 5% of early adopters that are obsessed with this project and forum. We have to think about those outside of our bubble who don’t even know about the IC yet, or those who will never check the forums as many times in a day as you or I.

Why should any retail investor or firm buy ICP if this passes?

3 Likes