Guide: How to top-up an existing neuron

Hey guys I wanted to top-up my new spawned neuron but when I increased neuron stake it did not top-up but icp was transfered. Also in transactions it is not Top-up Neuorn but Sent ICP. So it seems ICP is lost or it will appear in neuron in some time?

try this and see if the neuron balance refreshes

1 Like

It works thank you man!

1 Like

The rewards are calculated within the governance canister.
When you top up a neuron you increase its account balance in the ledger canister.
But until the governance canister knows about this the stake displayed and also the rewards received will be based on the old ICP amount.

We were hoping to get the fix for these top up issues on Friday but we had to delay in the end as there are quite a few pending changes and not all of them were fully tested in time.

But I’m fairly confident we’ll get it out tomorrow (Monday), this release will also include a button to ‘Merge Maturity’ which will allow you to reinvest rewards straight back into the neuron.

This will be a manual process at first but there are plans to make it automatic i the not too distant future.

5 Likes

Wow that sounds really cool. This is a huge project and i dont regret it that i investet half my money in it as a student. Hope it will work.

So you basically loose rewards if you don’t refresh the neuron inmediately?

Are there any plans to release a feature - merge neurons?

What do you understand with merge?
Accumulate the staking?

Thats what i did today instead of spawning the neuron. But im not sure if it worked.

not sure if off topic but… small typo: one can ‘merge maturity’…

when you click confirm it says : This will merge xx% of your neuron’s earned maturity into it’s stake

*its :slight_smile:

I have got two neurones. X ICPs first, Y ICPs second. Both neurones locked for 8 years. I have created them when increase stake neurone was not possible. Now I would like to merge these two neurones and have only one with the stake (X + Y) for 8 years.

1 Like

@hpeebles Thanks for Merge Maturity button. This is great. But we will need a STOP MATURITY MERGING button as well. I will want to increase my stake neuron with new rewards for now but it was my plan to send the rewards somewhere else (or cash them) at a later date.
Thanks again. All great improvments

i could spawn a neuron but i clicked on merge. Now i cant spawn anymore. Is it the same like top up?

like alexander wrote makes more sense for me. Adds all icp from different adresses together to one.

I just sent ~1 ICP from a dissolved spawned neuron to a staked neuron. The dissolved neuron disappeared as expected but the ICP is not in the target neuron (~15 minutes at this point). I have previously done this by sending to one my account wallets first and this has always worked. I thought why not go direct to the target neuron? Should this have worked? Is it not able to extract the fee cycles? With the source neuron gone, how do I trace this?

Refreshing the target neuron with the Candid UI did not work. Maybe it was sent back to the spawned neuron as mentioned in another post but the spawned neuron is not visible.

It appears that I may have this problem (see post below). If, for whatever reason, ICP is returned to a 0 stake spawned neuron, how long should I expect to wait for the governance canister to be notified and refresh?

Wow, interesting! You can merge maturity at any point in a neuron’s lifecycle, even when the accrued maturity isn’t at 1 ICP yet?

Is there any downside to clicking “Merge Maturity” in the NNS app? Seems like I should constantly merge 100% for all my neurons whenever I have time.

Just realize “merge maturity” has to be triggered manually. Taught it was automatic everyday until you stop it. Mixed reality with a dream :grin:

Is there a way to top up the different neurons adresses?
I got 4 adresses and want all in my main adresses where im staking.

I have a different issue. 4 neurons, 8 years lock up, different ICPs. Wanting to merge into one neuron.

4 Likes